• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speaking the truth here, IR35, contract to perm. What everyone is thinking...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    I would disagree with most of what you say.
    Congratulations for understanding what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      If you're a contractor going perm, the hardest thing that you'll face is your status.

Why would they take what they see as a risk on a contractor going perm until the transition to the long-term new normal is complete then watch you jump ship because the contract market has picked up again over an equally-qualified perm whose only reason for availability was because of their employers going bust during the current crisis? I'll save you answering - they wouldn't. The hardest part of my interview for my first perm job in ten years was convincing them that I wanted to stay perm. Easy for me, I genuinely do at this stage of my life but longer term who knows?
      It's not just the perceived risk that you might jump ship when the market improves but also that you won't fit in. Depending on the role and your experience, you may have worked in multiple sectors and changed roles every year or so. There's a worry you would be a bit bored. This was a concern with some of the recent perm hires where I work when taking on some developers, particular those with more modern technology stack experience.

I'm looking to go perm after seven years contracting and the only valid (and truthful) answer I have is that for the role I want to get to (CIO) I need to be able to stay somewhere 2-3 years to develop and grow which isn't possible contracting. I suspect 'professional growth' will be one of the few answers that people can give for justifying going perm after a long spell contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        It's not just the perceived risk that you might jump ship when the market improves but also that you won't fit in. Depending on the role and your experience, you may have worked in multiple sectors and changed roles every year or so. There's a worry you would be a bit bored. This was a concern with some of the recent perm hires where I work when taking on some developers, particular those with more modern technology stack experience.

I'm looking to go perm after seven years contracting and the only valid (and truthful) answer I have is that for the role I want to get to (CIO) I need to be able to stay somewhere 2-3 years to develop and grow which isn't possible contracting. I suspect 'professional growth' will be one of the few answers that people can give for justifying going perm after a long spell contracting.
        These days, yes, possibly alongside spending too much time on the road.
        Although you've also got the roll out of IR35 off payroll regs making it less likely you've be able to work any distance away due to expenses no longer being applied. Plus there's Brexit uncertainty still.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          You always laugh at the things you don't understand.
          Those benefits tend to mean the company has worked out it can get a better deal than the individual can, and that it can put through those benefits to the individuals who will value them for more than they are worth.
          Also, with the likes of private health, it means that if an employee becomes ill, they will receive treatment and be back at work sooner.

Do you have private health through your Ltd?
          Is it because you can't afford it yourself?
          I mean there are people who probably love to work for a nanny company that will organise life for them.

I can afford private healthcare myself, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
            I mean there are people who probably love to work for a nanny company that will organise life for them.

Private health insurance in most companies doesn't allow you to visit a private GP. It's usually supplemental insurance and covers gaps in NHS treatment.

It doesn't usually get workers back to work quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              Private health insurance in most companies doesn't allow you to visit a private GP. It's usually supplemental insurance and covers gaps in NHS treatment.

Mine included being able to see (via video call) a private GP whenever you wanted, unfortunately they moved to a new provider this year and that cover has been removed.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post

It means you can jump the waiting list for operations so you so end up being back at work quicker if your condition is causing you to take sick leave.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Mine included being able to see (via video call) a private GP whenever you wanted, unfortunately they moved to a new provider this year and that cover has been removed.
                  Maybe you should not have called her like a thousand times

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
                    I notice you failed to answer the first question: do you have private healthcare through your Ltd?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      I notice you failed to answer the first question: do you have private healthcare through your Ltd?
                      I don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X