• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speaking the truth here, IR35, contract to perm. What everyone is thinking...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    I notice you failed to answer the first question: do you have private healthcare through your Ltd?
    To get free darning from an authorised Bridgwater seamstress?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      To get free darning from an authorised Bridgwater seamstress?
      Is that what you call her? Hem hem...
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        Surprised you were able to claim anything through private. Was it because the wait list was too long on NHS? Maybe I've just had tulipty policies in the past.
        There wasn’t any question, just got referred and operation done. Not sure why there’s all the “oh so hilarious” toenail talk, but one was a hernia and the other an operation to repair a deviated nasal septum.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          If you're a contractor going perm, the hardest thing that you'll face is your status.

Why would they take what they see as a risk on a contractor going perm until the transition to the long-term new normal is complete then watch you jump ship because the contract market has picked up again over an equally-qualified perm whose only reason for availability was because of their employers going bust during the current crisis? I'll save you answering - they wouldn't. The hardest part of my interview for my first perm job in ten years was convincing them that I wanted to stay perm. Easy for me, I genuinely do at this stage of my life but longer term who knows?
          Except the contract market is screwed for good now (at least in my industry) rates haven’t risen for decades and almost all clients have banned PSC engagements, so I know, and my permie employers know I won’t be defecting to a juicy contract

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Except the contract market is screwed for good now (at least in my industry) rates haven’t risen for decades and almost all clients have banned PSC engagements, so I know, and my permie employers know I won’t be defecting to a juicy contract
            I'm guessing from your user name that you work as a Peoplesoft consultant or similar? Hasn't that been in relative decline for quite some time now?

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Oh how we laughed when Alun got a nail stuck in his foot whilst playing football at lunchtime.
              That was fixed on the NHS since the factory* was about half a mile from Morriston A&E.

And it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

There wasn’t any question, just got referred and operation done. Not sure why there’s all the “oh so hilarious” toenail talk, but one was a hernia and the other an operation to repair a deviated nasal septum.

Alan was univerally know as "Toe" when he had his ingrowing toenails done after working at the company a whole week.
              "Toe" was known as "Toe" for the entire 14 13 years he worked there.

We're like that round here.

I've never found it necessary to have my deviated septum fixed, either on the NHS or privately.

*The factory site is a housing estate now. If only they knew what Cyril had poured down into the quarry.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 August 2020, 12:43.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I've never found it necessary to have my deviated septum fixed, either on the NHS or privately.
                Some people need it fixed while others can live happily with it deviated as it doesn't cause other problems.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                  I'm guessing from your user name that you work as a Peoplesoft consultant or similar? Hasn't that been in relative decline for quite some time now?
                  Yes I retrained to Workday in 2013, but contracting in Workday is much harder and the rates are no better than PeopleSoft. I am not moaning btw - but I really don’t see an explosion in demand for Workday contractors in the short to medium term. One reason is Workday has cooked up with partners to restrict the market.

Comment

That was fixed on the NHS since the factory was about half a mile from Morrison A&E.

And it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

"Toe" was known as "Toe" for the entire 14 13 years he worked there.

We're like that round here.

I had mine done so I could stop being an actual mouth breather and get some sleep. You mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Some people need it fixed while others can live happily with it deviated as it doesn't cause other problems.
                      Indeed.

I had mine done so I could stop being an actual mouth breather and get some sleep. You mileage may vary.
                      Indeed.

The other amusing thing was someone putting down the Bupa thing on their tax form.

Oh how we all laughed when we were stung for the BIK.

The Infernal Revenue attempted to continue to collect that after I'd left and was unemployed.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X