• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pidgin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pidgin

Sorry, shouldn't laugh but try reading this BBC stuff without putting on an outrageous accent in your head.

Domot - BBC News Pidgin

Wtf is this?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Wtf is this?
      English innit?

It's what the BBC spends the license fee on, that and 200 other languages.

Comment

I could barely tolerate them spending cash on welsh, but whats the size of market for pidgin English.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I could barely tolerate them spending cash on welsh, but whats the size of market for pidgin English.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Just remember, this is the BBC World Service and there is something to be said for being a primary news source for a considerable portion of the world...

Comment

When I googled for the Trump supporting bat-poo crazy Nigerian born doctor - I got the pidgin page about her first. I thought I was on the daily mash at first.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

isn't that a teeny bit racist?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  isn't that a teeny bit racist?
                  Probably everything is a bit racist by today's standards. I click a link from Google to the BBC and it took me there, and I was like "Is this a comedy page?"

I mean, this is English but just with terrible spelling isn't it? I can understand it, can the native Pidgin speakers somehow not understand English?

What next, Yorkshire World Service...

"Aye up lad, sommat 'appen in China, everyone off 'twerk, flippin eck Boris is wassack"
                  Last edited by DimPrawn; 1 August 2020, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    It's what the BBC spends the license fee on, that and 200 other languages.
                    Until 2014, the BBC World Service funding came from the Foreign Office, not the license fee. The FCO decided which languages would be supported. Since being part of the license fee, funding has been cut and the service significantly reduced. I doubt that that Pidgin was added to the supported languages after 2014.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X