• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Face covering recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Face covering recommendations

This far I've yet to wear one - not on any sort of principle but because I live rurally and have barely been off the estate since March!

Anyone got any tips for what's good, what to look for or avoid, on a covering that will be potentially worn for a longer period e.g. in the cinema or for a wedding/church service, etc?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I tend to use the disposable ones you can get packs of from pharmacies or even Ocado. I don't go out regularly so I reuse mine a few times and spray with 70% alcohol spray in between uses.

You want something that has a nose clip, or something bendy in the nose area to shape it better for a closer fit.

Comment

MF is having a sale on these - buy one, get brain slug free

Halloween Mask Adult Latex Full Face Mask Cosplay Scary Masks Costume Fancy Dress Merchandise Accessories: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I tend to use the disposable ones you can get packs of from pharmacies or even Ocado. I don't go out regularly so I reuse mine a few times and spray with 70% alcohol spray in between uses.

You want something that has a nose clip, or something bendy in the nose area to shape it better for a closer fit.
        I would just add before buying a load of them try them out first. The disposable ones we had didnt fit my face very well but ok for the wife.

I ended up buying washable ones from here along with filters that sit inside. Seem to fit my face better.
        Reusable Face Masks UK: Washable Face Masks with Filter | Vistaprint

Comment

can I suggest for you two bags, one to cover your face, and another just in case the first slips off?

Maybe make them plastic so they are more durable?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            This far I've yet to wear one - not on any sort of principle but because I live rurally and have barely been off the estate since March!

Anyone got any tips for what's good, what to look for or avoid, on a covering that will be potentially worn for a longer period e.g. in the cinema or for a wedding/church service, etc?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
            I bought a box of 50 really good quality disposable masks from a supplier for £10.
            I keep some in a box next to the front door, some in each vehicle and one in each trouser back pocket.
            I have two washable reusable N95 types if needed.

Bottles of gel and disinfectant everywhere, water for washing hands etc in the vehicles.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Anyone got any tips
              I'm sure you can find something at home that can be repurposed.

Comment

Respirators (very effective)
                Only certified N95, FFP2 or FFP3 respirators are effective at blocking Covid.
                These respirators are obviously in high demand and extremely hard to get by general public as supplies are usually restricted to NHS staff only.
                If you manage to find such respirators online (eg Amazon) they are most likely fake.

Surgical masks (somewhat effective)
                Much less effective than respirators but much better than nothing. You need to make sure they are certified for medical use.
                As with respirators, Amazon is flooded with coverings that resemble surgical masks but most are fake and completely ineffective.
                Look for small print like the following:
                This is general use face mask. The mask is not intended for medical use, and not proven to reduce the transmission of disease.

Other types
                Effectiveness of other types of face coverings has not been proven. In my opinion dust masks and similar are most likely completely ineffective against Covid. Coronavirus/SARS/Influenza particles are extremely small (0.1 μm). That's 10-1000x smaller than dust particles (1-100 μm).

Obviously I'm not a doctor so do your own research or consult a professional.
                Last edited by JamesBrown11; 31 July 2020, 23:33.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
                  Respirators (very effective)
                  Only certified N95, FFP2 or FFP3 respirators are effective at blocking Covid.
                  These respirators are obviously in high demand and extremely hard to get by general public as supplies are usually restricted to NHS staff only.
                  If you manage to find such respirators online (eg Amazon) they are most likely fake.

Surgical masks (somewhat effective)
                  Much less effective than respirators but much better than nothing. You need to make sure they are certified for medical use.
                  As with respirators, Amazon is flooded with coverings that resemble surgical masks but most are fake and completely ineffective.
                  Look for small print like the following:
                  This is general use face mask. The mask is not intended for medical use, and not proven to reduce the transmission of disease.

Other types
                  Effectiveness of other types of face coverings has not been proven. In my opinion dust masks and similar are most likely completely ineffective against Covid. Coronavirus/SARS/Influenza particles are extremely small (0.1 μm). That's 10-1000x smaller than dust particles (1-100 μm).

Obviously I'm not a doctor so do your own research or consult a professional.
                  The entire point of face coverings is to protect others from your saliva as much as possible. They aren't to protect you. It is considered bad manners not to wear one in East Asian countries in the cold and flu season when you are near others.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    I bought a box of 50 really good quality disposable masks from a supplier for £10.
                    I keep some in a box next to the front door, some in each vehicle and one in each trouser back pocket.
                    I have two washable reusable N95 types if needed.

Bottles of gel and disinfectant everywhere, water for washing hands etc in the vehicles.
                    Of course you do. Why? Because you're a clueless fuqwit.

In fact I'd venture that you wear a facemask when you're driving - alone.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X