• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Evgeny Lebedev: Son of KGB agent handed a seat in the Lords

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Again he's simply guilty by association? I'm struggling to dig up much dirt on him.
    What did he do to become a Lord, at his young age?

He is running two money losing publications - it’s not like he even founded then, just funded (with what money - where did he get tens of millions needed?).

We can speculate what he got it for really, but he certainly did not do anything public worthy to deserve it, not even “for services to retail industry” like it used to be justified.

Would he pass security clearance even? It’s bonkers - now he can actually join the Govt, perhaps run newly formed portfolio: The Official Representative of the Russian Empire
    Last edited by AtW; 1 August 2020, 17:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      And with all those crooks, cronies and spies.... nothing for that twat Farage......
      That amuses me.
      1. It’s not too late for him
      2. He makes more money by being outside, for now

Comment

The Establishment has long been infested with useful idiots.

Quite a lot of Stalin's Englishmen ended up in Moscow.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          The Establishment has long been infested with useful idiots.
          It still is, but it's surely the first time when they elevate publicly so highly somebody like Lebedev

Comment

Yes, that is a novelty.

Exactly what one might expect of Bozo and his chums.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Guardian didn't seem to be supportive of the Tories, but they didn't write anything against IR35 or some questionable connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                And with all those crooks, cronies and spies.... nothing for that twat Farage......
                That amuses me.
                Maybe a bottle of after shave tainted with nerve agent
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Evening Standard to sack half its journalists

I guess he got his peerage so might as well try to cut ongoing costs of buying it

“ It comes days after the newspaper's owner Evgeny Lebedev was awarded a peerage by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

The Standard last month named David Cameron's sister in law Emily Sheffield as its new editor, replacing former Chancellor George Osborne who has moved to a hands-off role as editor-in-chief. Ms Sheffield is an experienced journalist who was previously deputy editor of Vogue.”
                  Last edited by AtW; 7 August 2020, 20:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    And Bojo has given seats in the Lords to a host of Brexit fanatics and brainless idiots.
                    What's it to do with you, aren't you a foreigner?
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      And Bojo has given seats in the Lords to a host of Brexit fanatics and brainless idiots.
                      Like his brother who has basically done **** all for the country, the aforementioned son of a KGB colonel who invites Johnson to his Tuscany villa for parties but likewise has done **** all for the country and then there is the IRA apologist and revolutionary Marxist. The HoL is now the second largest un-elected legislature after the Chinese People's National Congress. So much for the Conservative's promise to reform the HoL unless it meant putting more of their mates in it to help them (just look at how the HoL screwed up some of the Tories Brexit plans.)

Ian Botham also made a peer for backing Brexit although he has been living in Spain for a number of years now. He was quoted: "Personally, I think that England is an island [sic]. I think that England should be England. And I think that we should keep that."
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X