Right-wing academics ‘forced to hide views’ Right-wing academics ‘forced to hide views’
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 171

My post count is Majestic

AtW is always on top

Default Right-wing academics ‘forced to hide views’

“ Pro-Brexit and right-wing academics feel forced to censor their political views, putting free speech at universities under threat, a report has said.

Campuses are increasingly governed by unwritten rules that mean lecturers are under pressure to muzzle unfashionable opinions for fear of being ostracised or passed over for promotion, the Policy Exchange think tank said.

A YouGov poll of 820 academics found that nearly a third — 32 per cent — of those who say their political views are “right” or “fairly right” have stopped openly airing opinions in teaching and research, compared with 13 per cent of those in the centre and on the left.”

Right-wing academics ‘forced to hide views’ | News | The Times

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

<left logic on>Right-wing academics are self-evidently wrong, else they'd be left-wing. Therefore nothing they say has any value, which means this isn't a problem at all. Free speech isn't threatened at all, only hate speech. You can freely discuss any opinion on any topic so long as I think it's not hate speech.</left logic off>
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Some things in Moderation

cojak is always on top

If they think it's bad this year, just wait until next year...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Fingers like lightning

TheGreenBastard is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    <left logic on>Right-wing academics are self-evidently wrong, else they'd be left-wing. Therefore nothing they say has any value, which means this isn't a problem at all. Free speech isn't threatened at all, only hate speech. You can freely discuss any opinion on any topic so long as I think it's not hate speech.</left logic off>
    It's a mystery how Brexit even happened! </sarcasm>

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

have stopped openly airing opinions in teaching and research, compared with 13 per cent of those in the centre and on the left.

Among Brexit supporters, 27 per cent said they had refrained from publishing or airing views for “fear of consequences”
    So 73% of Brexiteers still feel free to ram their opinions down the students throats even though they should be teaching and not airing opinions. I have no idea about the political opinions about any lecturer I had at Uni.

Is this really a story ?

If you read the article on both sides there are lecturers that don't want to air their opinions, but the Brextiteers are whining about it, that they're "victims". If you don't like the heat.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 3rd August 2020 at 07:09.
    I'm alright Jack

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If you read the article on both sides there are lecturers that don't want to air their opinions, but the Brextiteers are whining about it, that they're "victims". If you don't like the heat.
    Could you quote the whining from the article?

From what I was free to read it's a YouGov poll.

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Could you quote the whining from the article?

From what I was free to read it's a YouGov poll.
    Simple the title

Right-wing academics ‘forced to hide views’
    Leftwing academics are not expressing their views but rightwing academics are "forced" by the nasty leftwing academics.

This is just a rightwing whining article.
    I'm alright Jack

Fingers like lightning

Simple the title

Leftwing academics are not expressing their views but rightwing academics are "forced" by the nasty leftwing academics.

This is just a rightwing whining article.
    Granted the article is written in a whinging slant, but unless I misinterpreted the poll it implies "right wingers" disproportionately suppress their views compared to "left wingers". It doesn't say anything about absolute numbers, or is that info only available in the full article?

My post count is Majestic

vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

Academics Opinions Matter?
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

More time posting than coding

jayn200 is a permanent contractor

So 73% of Brexiteers still feel free to ram their opinions down the students throats even though they should be teaching and not airing opinions. I have no idea about the political opinions about any lecturer I had at Uni.

Is this really a story ?

When did you go? I did a master's in 2018 to update some skills and every single professor spoke about brexit, all very anti brexit pro immigration and constantly telling us everyone who voted for brexit was a racist. I'm sure none of their colleagues would have voiced a pro brexit opinion. I am very strongly anti brexit so I didn't care but just saying it did happen in my experience.