We've reached peak house prices We've reached peak house prices
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is always on top

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,183

    Default We've reached peak house prices

    Family of six raffle off their GBP1.15million four bedroom barn conversion with secret bar | Daily Mail Online

    Whenever we get hoards of people raffling their homes (because they can't get the asking price they have in their heads), then we know we are at the top.

  2. #2

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    26,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Family of six raffle off their GBP1.15million four bedroom barn conversion with secret bar | Daily Mail Online

    Whenever we get hoards of people raffling their homes (because they can't get the asking price they have in their heads), then we know we are at the top.
    It's not much of a secret bar now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  3. #3

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is always on top

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covid City
    Posts
    36,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's not much of a secret bar now.
    I didn't realise a few things. 6 bottles on a shelf is a secret bar and a small house oop north can be "worth" over a £1m !!!

  4. #4

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    26,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I didn't realise a few things. 6 bottles on a shelf is a secret bar and a small house oop north can be "worth" over a £1m !!!
    That's five times what you're asking for for your four bed West Country pad!

    4 bedroom terraced house for sale in Morrison Street, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN2, SN2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    TwoWolves is NOT a disguised employee

    TwoWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,059

    Default

    A neighbour of ours has just put his house on the market. After three years there he's selling because his wife has lost her job and they depend on two incomes to pay the mortgage, despite having a third child to look after.

    The asking price is just under 30% more than what they paid.

    I just don't understand who they expect to buy it?

  6. #6

    Super poster

    Hobosapien - scorchio!

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    These raffles have been around for years. I suspect many are scams where they know they won't reach their target number of ticket sales to trigger the actual raffle and will fall back on offering a cash prize that just happens to have substantial costs deducted from the amount received. Kerching!
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  7. #7

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is always on top

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    26,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWolves View Post
    A neighbour of ours has just put his house on the market. After three years there he's selling because his wife has lost her job and they depend on two incomes to pay the mortgage, despite having a third child to look after.

    The asking price is just under 30% more than what they paid.

    I just don't understand who they expect to buy it?
    A fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  8. #8

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    18,731
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Family of six raffle off their GBP1.15million four bedroom barn conversion with secret bar | Daily Mail Online

    Whenever we get hoards of people raffling their homes (because they can't get the asking price they have in their heads), then we know we are at the top.
    As there is no skill in the prise draw this will be deemed as an illegal lottery in the UK

    BTW. The owners look a right pretentious bunch of ....
    Elaine Paige "I refuse to let anyone dictate the shape of my bananas."

  10. #10

    Super poster

    TheCyclingProgrammer is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    As there is no skill in the prise draw this will be deemed as an illegal lottery in the UK
    AFAICT, it's laughably easy to workaround this.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •