• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geord Floyd full body cam video leaked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is why back when this started the way to solve it was to make Police brutality a Federal matter and the unions & suggestions of nepotism would be bypassed.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

There are clearly many who will, but I don't think the majority saw this as a racist killing per-se; it is however another example of a black man killed in police custody and there are too many examples of this for it to be ignored.

If this was a white suspect would he have been treated differently?
      Should the police treat all suspects like this or do they need some training on how to correctly detain people safely?
      Should we be arguing retrospectively that the person was clearly guilty (or something) and therefore the police are ok playing the role of judge, jury and executioner?

The biggest issue here though for black people, whether they be in the US or the UK, is how they are disproportionately stopped by police and how they are treated in such circumstances. We just have to go back to some of the recent stories in the UK to see this; if any of us have seen the footage of how Bianca Williams was treated, would we expect this as white people? If we had this fairly frequently and we knew it was because of profiling, then how would we feel?

It's appalling what happened to Floyd and nothing justifies it. Even being guilty of DUI does not justify kneeling on his neck when he is already restrained. If the police can't handle a man in handcuffs in a way that keeps both them and him safe then there are clearly serious issues that need to be fixed.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I don't know how to answer this without making myself look even worse here but surely it would have allowed people to make up their minds based on the facts before going out and burning cities?
        Before this it was racially motivated murder but now that's difficult to justify**. So does that mean all the race riots, burning cities, defunding the police are less jutified? Would another course of action have happened that might have been less harmful etc?

I need to just shut up I guess. People aren't taking this the way I meant it to be.

** disclaimer. I'm not trying to belittle or reduce the charge. He's still killed a human and needs to be held to account but it's not what it was initially thought.

My whole point about this thread was way everyone has been played by whoever and we could discuss who that was and why..
        Even without this, who was to say it was a racist murder anyway? Black people kill black people in great numbers in the US and here. Black police officers have killed white suspects in the US. Only if you look into the history and background of the officer as in the Rodney King case could a case be made of a murder due to race and not just general brutality/incompetence.

The left went off the deep end because it suited their purposes, it is election year and the Republicans are in power after all.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Would they have known when they stopped him he was a convicted armed robber, served 5 years? The reason why I ask is when they stopped him and he wouldn't put his hands in view and was all over the place, perhaps the police officer was then worried about his own safety rather than procedures.

Ex Office Chauvin worked with him as a Bouncer at a night club, if he didn't know then he probably suspected he wasn't a nice man. If the car was registered to him they probably got a record of violent crimes back.If not he was a vey large muscular bloke.

5 things to do if you are pulled over by the police - Saga

Traffic stops are the second most dangerous situation that a police officer has to deal with on a regular basis, so he/she will be on their guard. (Domestic incidents are the most dangerous, in case you were wondering.)
          That is from SAGA in the UK and without the suspect carrying a .45 magnum.

Comment

Are your views common in Yorkshire OP?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              There are clearly many who will, but I don't think the majority saw this as a racist killing per-se; it is however another example of a black man killed in police custody and there are too many examples of this for it to be ignored.

Should the police treat all suspects like this or do they need some training on how to correctly detain people safely?
              Should we be arguing retrospectively that the person was clearly guilty (or something) and therefore the police are ok playing the role of judge, jury and executioner?

The biggest issue here though for black people, whether they be in the US or the UK, is how they are disproportionately stopped by police and how they are treated in such circumstances. We just have to go back to some of the recent stories in the UK to see this; if any of us have seen the footage of how Bianca Williams was treated, would we expect this as white people? If we had this fairly frequently and we knew it was because of profiling, then how would we feel?

It's appalling what happened to Floyd and nothing justifies it. Even being guilty of DUI does not justify kneeling on his neck when he is already restrained. If the police can't handle a man in handcuffs in a way that keeps both them and him safe then there are clearly serious issues that need to be fixed.

Actually a lot of statistics suggest otherwise even in the US, you are more likely to get shot by the Police if you are black in the US but not as likely to die in custody.

Nearly 20% arrest rate in stop & search

Stop and search in England and Wales - Full Fact

Highest in London where they stop proportionally more blacks.

Are you suggesting they are ignoring all the white criminals? If so how do we fix it?

I'm all for intelligence lead stop & search with feedback when obviously innocent people are stopped repeatedly. Lets make it really targeted and have 80% arrests. We can also record all the interactions an view them privately so behaviour can be improved.

You know the majority of the stabbings have black victims & perpetrators? Seems sensible to search for weapons.

Bianca Williams started screaming and the police quite rightly removed the distraught woman from the baby. You know criminals use baby nappies for transporting drugs don't you? You know people behaving like that can lash out.

If she had politely said I believe this is racially motivated stop the Police might have explained the traffic violations they saw.

I would imagine if the same US Police had stopped an aggressive and intoxicated Tyson Fury lookalike they would probably behaved the same way. There was no indication in the video that colour was an issue I doubt any true racist would have been unable to resist calling him something offensive in the struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Are you suggesting they are ignoring all the white criminals?
                What a silly thing to say. Why would you think anyone is suggesting that?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I don't think I'm alone believing it was a racist murder, when it's clear now to me at least it wasn't. Certainly, BLM/Media are calling the police systematically racist.

I think if the suspect was white, convicted armed robber and high on drugs, then I could imagine his car being stopped and then detained. As I said up until the officer put his knees on his neck it all looked relatively ok.

I'm not sure if stop and search works and yes black people are stopped more times but is that because crime is more prevalent within black communities and black males are over represented in criminal activity. I don't know but I think it's dangerous to equate the US with the UK, different issues in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    What a silly thing to say. Why would you think anyone is suggesting that?

Everyone seems to be thinking they are stopping too many black people yet they achieve a 20% arrest ratio, as a lead conversion ratio that is incredible. If they stop more whites will that arrest ratio fall? Is there a way to stop fewer blacks and still catch 1 in 5 of the people they stop?

Surely the relevant figure is the percentage of blacks they stop that they arrest versus the percentage of other ethnicities. My suspicion is that the figure is higher.

Now if the population worked with the police to improve stop & search they might see improvements in crime figures. We of course would have to imprison the serious criminals they stop & arrest for maximum effect.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Everyone seems to be thinking they are stopping too many black people yet they achieve a 20% arrest ratio, as a lead conversion ratio that is incredible. If they stop more whites will that arrest ratio fall? Is there a way to stop fewer blacks and still catch 1 in 5 of the people they stop?

Surely the relevant figure is the percentage of blacks they stop that they arrest versus the percentage of other ethnicities. My suspicion is that the figure is higher.

Now if the population worked with the police to improve stop & search they might see improvements in crime figures. We of course would have to imprison the serious criminals they stop & arrest for maximum effect.
                      I think the deeper question is why crime is so high in black areas. Why are more black men turning to crime. It's fine just saying stop and search them more effectively but why are they so much more over represented. Is it culture, lack of opportunity etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X