• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geord Floyd full body cam video leaked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    lets dive in.

Now as to him being innocent he is driving while intoxicated (Drugs) pretty sure that is a serious offence in all states. The store clerks account of him passing a fake bill in exchange for cigarettes and then failing to return the cigarettes when the clerk identified the forgery turns that from (knowingly?) passing forged currency to theft.
    That was not the original account of the store clerk. He was well known at the store and a new clerk was on duty; the new clerk suspected the his cheque was fake and called the police. The shop owner said he knows George Floyd and he would not have called the police in those circumstances.

The police badly handled this from start to finish.

I have sat through too many court cases whereby it is blatant that the prosecution has spiced up the story and blatantly lied and fortunately the judge has ticked off the police. In this case, the US press have gone out their way to vilify George Floyd.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I think the deeper question is why crime is so high in black areas. Why are more black men turning to crime. It's fine just saying stop and search them more effectively but why are they so much more over represented. Is it culture, lack of opportunity etc.
      The answer is out there and well documented in the case of USA not sure how much research has been done here in the UK. In the USA it's a combination of socio-economic factors such as lower levels of education, lower income levels, single parenthood, drug use levels and subsequent war on drugs.

Not sure if there are some similar reasons in UK.

It's hard though because even asking the question is racist even though the answers I provided are mostly (outside of single parenthood) are mostly the fault of whitey.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        That was not the original account of the store clerk. He was well known at the store and a new clerk was on duty; the new clerk suspected the his cheque was fake and called the police. The shop owner said he knows George Floyd and he would not have called the police in those circumstances.

I have sat through too many court cases whereby it is blatant that the prosecution has spiced up the story and blatantly lied and fortunately the judge has ticked off the police. In this case, the US press have gone out their way to vilify George Floyd.
        It's funny how people see things so differently. I don't see the press has vilified him at all. Infact I see it the other way around. They've purposely kept information away to inflame the situation and make it a race issue. I see them focussing on the police, rightly, but using the race card wrongly. All I saw from the press was how the police murdered an innocent man because he was black.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 5 August 2020, 13:53.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And no

George Floyd was arrested because he 'tried to pay store with a counterfeit $20 bill' as Minneapolis Mayor says he would still be alive if he were white after a night of violent protests which left a looter dead

Minneapolis store owner explains why police were called on George Floyd - CNN Video

It was a counterfeit bill he passed not a rubber check. He had left with goods making it technically theft, I'm suspect the clerk would have the value docked from his pay, that is fairly normal practice.

The owner may have wanted to deal with it informally but so would you if your store was in a black area where you are receiving threats of violence to you & your family.

There were also reports that his companions had earlier unsuccessfully tried to pass forged currency in that store. So it seems he might be knowingly passing forged currency.

Agree the Police handled it badly.

Not sure uncovering the facts and his criminal record is vilifying him
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            There are clearly many who will, but I don't think the majority saw this as a racist killing per-se; it is however another example of a black man killed in police custody and there are too many examples of this for it to be ignored.

If this was a white suspect would he have been treated differently?
            Should the police treat all suspects like this or do they need some training on how to correctly detain people safely?
            Should we be arguing retrospectively that the person was clearly guilty (or something) and therefore the police are ok playing the role of judge, jury and executioner?

The biggest issue here though for black people, whether they be in the US or the UK, is how they are disproportionately stopped by police and how they are treated in such circumstances. We just have to go back to some of the recent stories in the UK to see this; if any of us have seen the footage of how Bianca Williams was treated, would we expect this as white people? If we had this fairly frequently and we knew it was because of profiling, then how would we feel?

It's appalling what happened to Floyd and nothing justifies it. Even being guilty of DUI does not justify kneeling on his neck when he is already restrained. If the police can't handle a man in handcuffs in a way that keeps both them and him safe then there are clearly serious issues that need to be fixed.
            All very valid points, particularly the last bit. It needs looking at and appropriate action being taken without a doubt.

What isn't helpful is people withholding key body cam footage, the press pushing and agenda and people looting a burning stuff. This is the bit that has got me triggered.

A wedge has been driven in that will take many years to get back to where we were before let alone move forward. People are falling out where they just don't need to. Look at Hamilton and the standing drivers etc. That's just division where there doesn't need to be. How does that help anyone?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              And no

George Floyd was arrested because he 'tried to pay store with a counterfeit $20 bill' as Minneapolis Mayor says he would still be alive if he were white after a night of violent protests which left a looter dead

Minneapolis store owner explains why police were called on George Floyd - CNN Video

It was a counterfeit bill he passed not a rubber check. He had left with goods making it technically theft, I'm suspect the clerk would have the value docked from his pay, that is fairly normal practice.

The owner may have wanted to deal with it informally but so would you if your store was in a black area where you are receiving threats of violence to you & your family.

There were also reports that his companions had earlier unsuccessfully tried to pass forged currency in that store. So it seems he might be knowingly passing forged currency.

Agree the Police handled it badly.

Not sure uncovering the facts and his criminal record is vilifying him

For the very reason that previous convictions are to brought to the court's attention until the end of trial. If there was to be inquest by jury, the allegations would influence the jury and would certainly influence any trial of the police officer.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

For the very reason that previous convictions are to brought to the court's attention until the end of trial. If there was to be inquest by jury, the allegations would influence the jury and would certainly influence any trial of the police officer.
                They are a matter of public record, the press as I understand it are not as closely guarded in the US.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It is a very distressing video of a man who is clearly having a severe panic attack - or rather, simply not behaving rationally. Since he repeatedly apologises and says "I didn't know", it seems likely that he knew that the bill was counterfeit - whether before or after he was challenged, who can say. Two police officers are trying their best to deal with a pretty difficult suspect who, while not actively resisting nor wanting to apparently, seems quite incapable of cooperating.

The video ends at the point where Floyd is about to end up outside the police car with the officers weight upon his neck.

Having seen the other videos from different standpoints, it looks like the officer screwed up massively - even to the point of criminal negligence (which in the UK would get you manslaughter - in the US that's 3rd degree murder). But there was no racism involved.

But. There not being racism in this specific incident does not mean that their isn't a problem with racism in policing and the US. There is. And that is utterly evident from looking at the statistics. The video doesn't invalidate BLM. Just their reliance on this issue.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    But there was no racism involved.
                    Only true if they had done exactly the same thing to anybody who acted the same but was white.

And even in that case, as you say, it's way too negligent police action.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Only true if they had done exactly the same thing to anybody who acted the same but was white.
                      That is clear. I don't think that video provides any evidence in that direction.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X