• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geord Floyd full body cam video leaked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    No, it's not clear to me that the white police officer's lethal assault on the arrested black person (whilst his black colleague watched him) was not racially motivated.
    Ftfy

Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      oh, so it's your emotional feeling that it was racist because you see a white police officer and a black suspect killed and you assume it's a racist killing?

That does seem to be the majority assumption, sad really.

Maybe someone will teach the police proper restraint techniques?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        That does seem to be the majority assumption, sad really.

Maybe someone will teach the police proper restraint techniques?
        yeah exactly. Are US police officers trained properly, supported properly. Are they dealing with extreme situations that they just aren't trained for?
        Last edited by woohoo; 6 August 2020, 15:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
          Ftfy

Don't think there is any need for that. It's an emotional subject and just because someone has empathy and is passionate about it doesn't mean they are triggered!

Comment

yeah exactly. Are US police officers trained properly, supported properly. Are they dealing with extreme situations that they just aren't trained for?

The opioid epidemic is huge over there, drugged up suspects are more difficult to handle & more likely to die.

I would make Police Brutality a federal matter. The state would not investigate their own.
            Create national standards for policing restraint training.
            Create tools for the new situation such as detention vans not the back of a normal car.
            Add sensors to handcuffs so health issues can be monitored while they are on.
            Look for an injection etc that reduces opioid reaction whilst detaining people.

Comment

Don't think there is any need for that. It's an emotional subject and just because someone has empathy and is passionate about it doesn't mean they are triggered!
              I think much of the problem is that there is that various people don't like the BLM movement and associated recent events. And some of these people have then decided that because BLM says the death is racially motivated, therefore it isn't. It is very peculiar that you can see a video and have a clear view of the motivation (you can clearly say it sin't racism but can you clearly say what it is?). Nobody can say for sure what motivation(s) were in the police officer's mind.

But this individual death exists within a context of claimed (take your own view of course) racism by law enforcement officers against African Americans, which ranges from anything from "driving when black" to deaths in custody and shootings by police officers. I CBA the debate the merits or otherwise of these claims, but the point is that this death happens within a claimed pattern. So it may not be possible to absolutely prove racist motivations to any single incident, but when you look at the patterns and fit this in with individuals' and communities' lived experiences (see: The talk (racism in the United States) - Wikipedia), people are going to come to reasonable conclusions about the pattern.

Comment

I think much of the problem is that there is that various people don't like the BLM movement and associated recent events. And some of these people have then decided that because BLM says the death is racially motivated, therefore it isn't. It is very peculiar that you can see a video and have a clear view of the motivation (you can clearly say it sin't racism but can you clearly say what it is?). Nobody can say for sure what motivation(s) were in the police officer's mind.

But this individual death exists within a context of claimed (take your own view of course) racism by law enforcement officers against African Americans, which ranges from anything from "driving when black" to deaths in custody and shootings by police officers. I CBA the debate the merits or otherwise of these claims, but the point is that this death happens within a claimed pattern. So it may not be possible to absolutely prove racist motivations to any single incident, but when you look at the patterns and fit this in with individuals' and communities' lived experiences (see: The talk (racism in the United States) - Wikipedia), people are going to come to reasonable conclusions about the pattern.

The interchange was on video, there was no sign of racism in the footage. You can of course feel what you fancy but courts like evidence.

We were told it was racist - no evidence.
                We were told he was a saint - plenty of evidence against.
                We were told it was unusual - it isn't.

Racism is complex and many people report that they are disadvantaged because of their race yet upon investigation it turns out their treatment was due to incompetence not racism. That seems to be the case here. Lets move on find some real racism and sort it out.

Comment

I understand your point that it's not a single incident and there is context to this. I'm not saying there isnt a problem in the USA, I really don't know. In this example was it racist, no. There is no evidence to prove it was, so it's not racist to me. Did the media paint it differently, well at least in the papers I read it did and it seems for others to.

And I think that was the point of the post really, that the narrative from the media was at odds with the actual events.

Comment

The interchange was on video, there was no sign of racism in the footage. You can of course feel what you fancy but courts like evidence.
                    Hang on a second...

It's woohoo saying that it is clear that racism was not a motivation. What is it that you think I fancy feeling?

Comment

Look for an injection etc that reduces opioid reaction whilst detaining people.
                      Naltrexone.

Instant cold turkey.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X