• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I just triggered a Millennial

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I suggested implementing GO TO functionality in the rule engine syntax we're developing.

Off to the incinerator with me.
    GOTO has been a source of ire long before Millenials were old enough to land jobs!

I only discovered recently C# now lets you switch on, well just about anything... random values, strings, object types.

You can now literally compare apples and oranges.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

GOTOs are for lightweights. What you really need are assigned GOTOs, and lots of them.

It's the programming equivalent of St Trinians girls hopping off their train, changing the points, hopping back on, and then heading off down a different set of tracks!

Shortly before leaving my first permie role many years ago, I wrote a vast COBOL program with loads of "ASSIGN TO PROCEED TO" statements, which are the COBOL equivalent.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

GOTO is for amateurs.

Pros use JMP

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          GOTOs are for lightweights. What you really need are assigned GOTOs, and lots of them.
          Yup, I was thinking that too.

Which I've only ever seen used in one program and I've never used it myself
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Push the address on the stack and then return.

You lot really are amateurs.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              Push the address on the stack and then return.

You lot really are amateurs.
              Pah. Read and write from the stack directly, you wuss.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Run the code through a minifier/obfuscator then hire an intern and tell him to refactor it

Comment

Once you've mastered the 'fashionable' GOTO band waggon, write some self modifying code.

Comment

One machine I used allowed one to build an instruction in a register and then execute it.

That was fun.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Don't forget recursion, they hate / don't understand that
                      Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                      X