• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learn SQL - Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

This - unless you're a hardcore DBA, having SQL on your CV when applying for a technical role is just like having English on your CV - its just expected that you'll have the basics and be able to get on with things. ..
    That's true of course, but CV checking algorithms, both automated and human, are obsessed with buzzwords. So it's worth spelling out everything, even if ridiculously obvious.

To the OP. One thing you can do is download and install free databases, such as MySQL and PostgreSQL and then simply practicing creating tables and SELECTs etc.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      select top 10 * from sql_recommendations order by price DESC
      Spot the person who uses MSSQL. Learning SQL also entails learning the different syntax required for different DBMS. I prefer MySQL where you can do easy result set windowing with the limit clause. MSSQL is irritating with the illogical way it handles dates and other stuff. Oracle isn't much better.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        select top 1000 * from members where GricerSockie=1
        select * from cretins C inner join sockies S on S.person_id = C.person_id where S.alias = 'gricer' order by C.cretin_magnitude;

That would probably explode the query planner, trying to order by amount of cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          This - unless you're a hardcore DBA, having SQL on your CV when applying for a technical role is just like having English on your CV - its just expected that you'll have the basics and be able to get on with things.

You're unlikely to walk into a tech role with just BA and basic SQL skills.
          I'd agree with this too.... I've worked as a PM, BA in the Finance Systems arena and having SQL experience is usually a requirement so I'm fairly competent. Have built DBs, quite a bit of ETL and data migrations, reporting (Crystal, MSRS, Cognos etc) but ..... I'd never sell myself as a SQL programmer or DBA as that is a whole other set of skills on top of what I know.

It's that day to day experience that separates the skilled amateurs like me to the experts.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            That's true of course, but CV checking algorithms, both automated and human, are obsessed with buzzwords. So it's worth spelling out everything, even if ridiculously obvious.

To the OP. One thing you can do is download and install free databases, such as MySQL and PostgreSQL and then simply practicing creating tables and SELECTs etc.
            MS SQL has express which is free and SSMS is a superior and much more user friendly IDE. You can also get free credit on azure and play around with that.

Microsoft was losing market share but they're getting it all back now and seems like they have a stronger future than any other vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              select s.*, c.cretin_magnitude from cretins C inner join sockies S on S.person_id = C.person_id where S.alias = 'gricer' order by C.cretin_magnitude desc;

That would probably explode the query planner, trying to order by amount of cretin.
              Let's get the query correct
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Let's get the query correct
                I prefer to work my way up to the major cretins. I find it less triggering.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                  Spot the person who uses MSSQL. Learning SQL also entails learning the different syntax required for different DBMS. I prefer MySQL where you can do easy result set windowing with the limit clause. MSSQL is irritating with the illogical way it handles dates and other stuff. Oracle isn't much better.
                  Sybase actually...

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    Microsoft was losing market share but they're getting it all back now
                    They would have gained even more if they kept processor level licensing

And Windoze using core licensing FFS

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                      MS SQL has express which is free and SSMS is a superior and much more user friendly IDE. You can also get free credit on azure and play around with that.

Microsoft was losing market share but they're getting it all back now and seems like they have a stronger future than any other vendor.
                      Slightly off topic, but ive started using jetbrains datagrip instead of ssms. I thinks its excellent if you put the effort into learning a few of the shortcuts. Just seems better thought out but then again i use rider instead of vs so might be used to the approach.

Comment

Working...
                      X