• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learn SQL - Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structured Query Language is a standard, is this what you want to learn or do want to learn a technology based off this? PLSQL, mySQL or t-SQL?

If you really want to learn SQL, try and learn and understand Normalisation (going to 3NF is fine) and how data is structured into a database.

Even with the fastest computers on earth, if the database design is bad your system will suck.

Also worth learning the ACID model and transactions.

I think there is a MTA course from MS database fundamentals, not sure of the content.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      I see some BA roles advertised where they are looking for some SQL skills / familiarity. If this is the target role, there's no harm in doing this and it may help.
      This, I'd say at the moment a lot of the BA roles I'm seeing are asking for SQL. Found this one on Linkedin Learning, not exactly a cert for the CV but will show on your Linkedin profile.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Slightly off topic, but ive started using jetbrains datagrip instead of ssms. I thinks its excellent if you put the effort into learning a few of the shortcuts. Just seems better thought out but then again i use rider instead of vs so might be used to the approach.
        I downloaded it, I'll play around with it a bit and check it out I'm always wanting to explore new IDEs if they can make my life easier.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          Structured Query Language is a standard, is this what you want to learn or do want to learn a technology based off this? PLSQL, mySQL or t-SQL?

If you really want to learn SQL, try and learn and understand Normalisation (going to 3NF is fine) and how data is structured into a database.

Even with the fastest computers on earth, if the database design is bad your system will suck.

Also worth learning the ACID model and transactions.

I think there is a MTA course from MS database fundamentals, not sure of the content.

qh
          I agree with you for anyone who might be wanting to get into development in the future that they need to learn those fundamentals. I don't think OP wants to become a SQL developer, he just wants to be able to query some data as a BA. I doubt he will design any databases so not sure if it's relevant for him in particular.

I do think for someone who just wants to be able to connect to an existing data source and query a table or 2 to pull some data into excel or a data visualisation tool then they can skip this and just move straight onto some basic SQL like the W3schools tutorial posted earlier. I know plenty of people of data analysts who know just enough SQL to be able to pull a table into excel and it works out fine for what they need. Of course if they were to try to design a database they would fail horribly.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            select top 10 * from
            A star * ?
            No self-respecting sql developer uses stars. Put the names of the columns you want to use you lazy sod

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
              A star * ?
              No self-respecting sql developer uses stars. Put the names of the columns you want to use you lazy sod
              No self-respecting developer is an sql developer.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                A star * ?
                I remember using a monitoring tool that looked at the ten worst performing queries of a legal based app, and I had the CIO on my back asking why it was slow.

All (and more besides) were using select *

The company that owned said app would not entertain or even admit that this was the problem.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Where did I say that you said the OP said that?

Now fook off and have a nice weekend.
                  Whilst you went into Friday evening in a triggered state, I was having a lovely weekend. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    I remember using a monitoring tool that looked at the ten worst performing queries of a legal based app, and I had the CIO on my back asking why it was slow.

All (and more besides) were using select *

The company that owned said app would not entertain or even admit that this was the problem.

qh

send them a copy of apexsql refactor. Wildcard expand is great.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                      I agree with you for anyone who might be wanting to get into development in the future that they need to learn those fundamentals. I don't think OP wants to become a SQL developer, he just wants to be able to query some data as a BA. I doubt he will design any databases so not sure if it's relevant for him in particular.

I do think for someone who just wants to be able to connect to an existing data source and query a table or 2 to pull some data into excel or a data visualisation tool then they can skip this and just move straight onto some basic SQL like the W3schools tutorial posted earlier. I know plenty of people of data analysts who know just enough SQL to be able to pull a table into excel and it works out fine for what they need. Of course if they were to try to design a database they would fail horribly.
                      But understanding how tables are organised in a proper database will help navigate where something has been fully normalised and you have to do multiple joins (and work out which type) in order to get a "sensible" looking output.

Comment

Working...
                      X