• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learn SQL - Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn SQL - Recommendations?

Can anyone give me recommendations for online courses to learn SQL from home? Bonus points if on completion it carries some form of accreditation I can put on my CV.

Currently in a very good contract as a Business Analyst which has helped me rediscover my mojo, but project is drawing to a close and workload has eased dramatically. Due to Covid; IR35 and recently having a second child, I'm starting to look longingly at the relative security of permanent vacancies, and considering throwing my hat in the ring, but SQL seems to be becoming a more must-have requirement, particularly for the higher paying roles.

I've done some QBASIC programming years ago (as a teenager before I discovered girls and beer), and SQL is not completely alien to me, but having not had to formally use it in a job before wanting to bolster my CV ready for an assault on the job market.

TIA.

select top 10 * from sql_recommendations order by price DESC

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      select top 10 * from sql_recommendations order by price DESC
      I see what you did there.

Comment

select top 1000 * from members where GricerSockie=1

Comment

Now you lost me.

Comment

If you want a useful start:
            SQL Tutorial

In reality, if you're a BA, you're a BA. It's nice to have SQL on your CV, but without the experience to back up a qualification, it's not going to be worth much.

But getting it, then using it in your next few roles, would be a way to get you moving in the right direction.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
              Can anyone give me recommendations for online courses to learn SQL from home? Bonus points if on completion it carries some form of accreditation I can put on my CV.

Currently in a very good contract as a Business Analyst which has helped me rediscover my mojo, but project is drawing to a close and workload has eased dramatically. Due to Covid; IR35 and recently having a second child, I'm starting to look longingly at the relative security of permanent vacancies, and considering throwing my hat in the ring, but SQL seems to be becoming a more must-have requirement, particularly for the higher paying roles.

I've done some QBASIC programming years ago (as a teenager before I discovered girls and beer), and SQL is not completely alien to me, but having not had to formally use it in a job before wanting to bolster my CV ready for an assault on the job market.

TIA.
              What luck. You can enrol for my online course with a 50% discount if you pay to day. PM me with your bank details, pin number and mother's maiden name.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                SQL Tutorial

In reality, if you're a BA, you're a BA. It's nice to have SQL on your CV, but without the experience to back up a qualification, it's not going to be worth much.

But getting it, then using it in your next few roles, would be a way to get you moving in the right direction.
                Was going to post this as well. This is the best intro source. It's well structured and will get you the basics very quickly and it's very easy to understand.

I dont know if I agree that's its not much use though. Data is the part of IT that's closest to business. Yes in an ideal work environment you have all the data you wanna do analysis on prepped in a data warehouse/lake accessible through some bi platform/data visualization tool that's easy to use but quite often that's not the case. There is a good chance there is no one available to query the data you need and bring it into a usable format for whatever you need it for.

Learning the basics of SQL is a critical component of data literacy.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  SQL Tutorial

This - unless you're a hardcore DBA, having SQL on your CV when applying for a technical role is just like having English on your CV - its just expected that you'll have the basics and be able to get on with things.

You're unlikely to walk into a tech role with just BA and basic SQL skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    This - unless you're a hardcore DBA, having SQL on your CV when applying for a technical role is just like having English on your CV - its just expected that you'll have the basics and be able to get on with things.

You're unlikely to walk into a tech role with just BA and basic SQL skills.
                    it's

it is

Not hard, isn't it?

With this sort of writing it's suicidal to put English on your CV, unless you specify that you had an (?) F grade.

Comment

Working...
                    X