• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mortgage thoughts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our most recent mortgage was an offset tracker with Santander, but maybe they’ve stopped doing them.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

can someone explain what is a mortgage

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
        +1 INKSPE (except in Switzerland where it's a tax dodgy).
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It's what poor people who don't rent but 'own' their own home have. Ask your permie colleagues, they'll love walking through how much of their salary goes to servicing their mortgage
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

When you get that rate increase to £12.50 ph, start saving the extra money. When you reach £10,000, we'll tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Our most recent mortgage was an offset tracker with Santander, but maybe they’ve stopped doing them.
              0.005% interest isn't enough to offset a mortgage?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                It's what poor people who don't rent but 'own' their own home have.
                Or people who want a very cheap loan
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Out of interest for those who have paid off their mortgage, unless your house is very cheap at some point you must of been a higher rate tax payer to take the money out of myco. How does that work out cheaper then continue paying off a mortgage?

Unless you're of a certain age and have made overpayments, is the only other option I can think of.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Well many contractors are older, experienced types who have been paying it off for years.

And of course, there are a lot of Walter Mitty types.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                      Out of interest for those who have paid off their mortgage, unless your house is very cheap at some point you must of been a higher rate tax payer to take the money out of myco. How does that work out cheaper then continue paying off a mortgage?

Unless you're of a certain age and have made overpayments, is the only other option I can think of.
                      Depends on a number of things .... firstly £150k was the largest my mortgage ever became, and this was on a property of £375k I, as is common, took a small salary and topped up to c.£40k with divs (also dropping a lump into my pension each year via myco). My wife was salaried and earning just shy of 6 figures so she covered bills, hols, drugs and partying whilst my lump sum divs each year went straight to the mortgage. We cleared it in just over 3 years

Not that hard to do if you have no kids and wife/partner earns a decent salary too.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X