• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ooohh is that a little bit Albanian

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So you are claiming them as British because they are successful and rich?
    Im not claiming them as British, they are British.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Didn't they emigrate as children, so wouldn't it be the UK that has produced two pop stars?
      Dua Lipa was born in London, Rita Ora's family moved here when she was a baby.

I meant of Albanian ancestry, not necessarily where they were born.

Comment

Erm.. stupid question but what the F is this cultural appropriation stuff all about when it comes to hair styles? I guess there are many other things but hair styles seem to be particularly contentious.

Why is it offensive to some people that white people have corn rows for example? Surely that's just a part of diversity and is similar to wearing japanese type silks, music styles and different foods?

In the persuit of equality isn't a race 'claiming' something just the opposite..

Makes my head spin.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Erm.. stupid question but what the F is this cultural appropriation stuff all about when it comes to hair styles? I guess there are many other things but hair styles seem to be particularly contentious.

Why is it offensive to some people that white people have corn rows for example? Surely that's just a part of diversity and is similar to wearing japanese type silks, music styles and different foods?

In the persuit of equality isn't a race 'claiming' something just the opposite..

Makes my head spin.

precisely. Check your white privilege!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Makes my head spin.
            It's weird. It only seems to work one way, as it's normal for back women to mimic non black hair. Regardless women should be able to do whatever they want to their hair if they think it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              So you are claiming them as British because they are successful and rich?
              You really should fact check before you start your head wobbling.

#JUSTSAYING
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Makes my head spin.
                Hair styles are contentious for black people for a number of reasons, some historical, some more recent, especially in the USA.
                1. Black 'natural' hair was a way for the white slave trade to identify black people as different and inferior.
                2. During the slavery era and afterwards, laws were passed that could regulate how some women had to wear or cover their hair.
                3. It's been a civil rights issue - workers have been discriminated against and lost their jobs for refusing to cut off their hair or straighten it. This can also happen in schools.
                4. It gets fetishised - a lot of black people will tell you how others just come up to them and touch their hair without asking which they find offensive.
                5. Elaborate hair was seen as a status symbol in African culture hundreds of years ago and partly why it's still considered important.

But it applies elsewhere. You gave the Japanese silks example and only last year there was a widespread outcry over Kim Kardashian planning to launch an underwear range called Kimono which she dropped after a lot of Japanese people were upset by it.

Comment

I can imagine why someone might be be upset having their national dess covering sweaty growlers. That's different and even if she'd done it there wouldn't be rioting and press outrage.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                    Hair styles are contentious for black people for a number of reasons, some historical, some more recent, especially in the USA.
                    1. Black 'natural' hair was a way for the white slave trade to identify black people as different and inferior.
                    2. During the slavery era and afterwards, laws were passed that could regulate how some women had to wear or cover their hair.
                    3. It's been a civil rights issue - workers have been discriminated against and lost their jobs for refusing to cut off their hair or straighten it. This can also happen in schools.
                    4. It gets fetishised - a lot of black people will tell you how others just come up to them and touch their hair without asking which they find offensive.
                    5. Elaborate hair was seen as a status symbol in African culture hundreds of years ago and partly why it's still considered important.

But it applies elsewhere. You gave the Japanese silks example and only last year there was a widespread outcry over Kim Kardashian planning to launch an underwear range called Kimono which she dropped after a lot of Japanese people were upset by it.
                    I don't believe I'm going to make a comment related to the Kardashians but was it not objected to because she tried to register the Kimono or the specific name as a trademark? In fact dont answer, I don't want to know any more about the Kardashians

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

1. Skin colour and other items have been used to separate and denigrate the Gaijin, Goy, feringhee, kafir, honky, WASP, Whitey etc. Its people not specifically white/black people.

2. During the Muslim age laws are made how women may wear their hair regardless of their religion.

3. Workers have lost their jobs or education due to their hair styles, religious symbols or tattoos. Some of them were Black.

4.You have obviously never been to Tunisia with blonde female children. Strangers walk up and touch their hair without permission. Blonde hair is fetishized there. The Yazidi sex slaves the ISIS scumbags traded were more prized if they had light skin & blue eyes. Its inherent that some people objectify stuff.

5.Elaborate hair and even body piercings were and are a status symbol in pretty much every society.

All the time you insist on fighting for special privileges you undermine the very reasonable request for equality which is all that society can provide.

All the time people lobby for a Black PM all I hear is "I want someone appointed based on the colour of their skin" you know that sounds racist?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X