• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

******* tired of courgettes & tomatoes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Courgettes fried in butter & Garlic sheer heaven.

Tomatoes - endless ways to dress them up. On fresh made pizza dough with olive oil & pepper.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Just realised that the OP was more wondering how to make best use of apples and pears having survived a glut of tomatoes and courgettes

Cider and perry for sure.

Comment

5 of our tomato plants are heritage ones, grown from the seeds of plants grown from the seeds of a tomato bought last year that went over-ripe before we ate it. Very tasty.
        2 courgette plants producing marrows, a few cucumbers on the go as well.
        (That's not counting the everlasting rocket, other salad veg, etc.)
        As for apples - if you have a mix of cookers & eaters, then cider. I don't think it turns out as well if you just use eating apples.
        Pears? Poached pears are nice once in a while, otherwise pear cider.
        I tend to use champagne yeast in my ciders, which I get from Home Brew Store | United Kingdom | Crossmyloof Brew
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Just realised that the OP was more wondering how to make best use of apples and pears having survived a glut of tomatoes and courgettes

Cider and perry for sure.
          Still on tomatoes. Oven dried tomatoes is good if you have a massive glut. Or do what Sicilians do and make your tomato sauce for the winter and store it in jars.

Comment

How To Make Zucchini Wine Step By Step - Misfit Gardening
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Love this time of year, can't get enough of either of the veg. Been making salsas, ketchup, pasta sauces, pizza sauce, current favourite is a chilled tomato soup.

Courgettes - current obsession is grilled courgettes on the bbq with halloumi or feta with some home made harissa.

Loads of recipes on me site *blatant plug for Kitchen Exile*
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Strangelove Pater frequently planted 3 or 4 courgette plants.

And if one gets missed it turns into a marrow.

I can still remember the one that required an axe to cut up so Strangelove Mater could make piccalilli.

I hope never to see another courgette as long as I live.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                  Male Courgette flowers stuffed with cheese are divine.
                  They are indeed linky
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Why don't you do what people in my area do with excess fruit and veg?

After you have given them to everyone you can, put an honesty box on your drive/front garden with some in and sell them for a few pence.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Why don't you do what people in my area do with excess fruit and veg?

After you have given them to everyone you can, put an honesty box on your drive/front garden with some in and sell them for a few pence.
                      That would be great. Unfortunately I share a private road with a farm shop and the entrance to my drive way is right next door to their honesty box and shed where people pick up their weekly veggy boxes so that's a no go.

At my place in Spain people just wander in and take what they like, and reciprocate by dropping stuff off*. It's a nice community vibe.

*On one occasion a knackered old horse.

Comment

Working...
                      X