• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Level Screw Up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Due to A levels not being sat this year the OFQUAL used a model to guessitmate the grades of A level students and level 3 BTech students plus next week GCSE and level 2 BTech students in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

For A levels teachers ranked all the students in their subject, they also used SPSS which gives a prediction of an individual child's grade from Key Stage 2 to A levels, and how the individual student worked on the course. Some schools and other establishments do some form of continuous assessment to help predict students grades including exams though out the year, while others don't.

However the model the government used is screwed up as it uses:
    1. Only the last 3 years results in that educatonal establishment ,
    2. If the education establishment has less than 15 students entered for the exam then the teachers assessment is used.

As a result it downgraded 40% of students.

This means those educated in the state system particularly in poorer areas where 6th Forms enter more than 15 students results have been down graded. Those educated in independent schools have seen grades improve by just over 4%.

In Wales the issues with the model have been rectified as they will use the students AS level results if the education establishment appeals.

In England and Northern Ireland as students don't do AS levels then a "valid" mock will be used if the education establishment appeals.

Many BTech students have not received their results.

If your child is educated at home they will not have received any result.
    Equally Mocks are treated very differently in different schools. One of the best schools around here uses Mocks to explain how to answer the paper - so they are walked through it first then sit it.
    The other school does the opposite and the mock is taken blind without revision so children know what they need to revise.

Both schools typically do equally well until this year where the mock results are going to significantly boost the other school.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Private Schools always get As across the board.

I dont have a great knowledge of the English system and we dont have 6th form colleges but posh middle class schools here got graded up 9% and crap schools went up 20%.

Initially the middle class schools were marked down 5% and the crap schools marked down 15%.

But now we have duffers getting 5 As and knocking on good degrees cos their teacher is soft as tulip leftist who wanted to give something back to the pupils. These are the pupils who will drop out of uni next year and have a year wasted. I can guarantee drop out rates in unis here will be far higher for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Nope the reality is:-

Cohort less than 6 -> Teacher grades
        Cohort greater than 15 -> rankings matched to that school's results from last years
        Cohort 6 to 15 -> not a clue.

Which is why some areas with large sixth forms have done scarily bad and private schools now have A*s across the board.

The B grade in Maths with A* in Further Maths is the greatest example I saw today - in theory possible, in reality less than 1% chance of occurring.

But the scores are also standardised which means that the crap teachers have made it easier for the private schools to get the A*. What will be interesting is if the poor quality response to covid from some schools and the top notch response from private schools has been factored in to the calculations as well. Hardly fair if it has not? After all taking a kid out for 2 weeks to go on holiday earns a fine and harms a child's life time prospects. But shutting a school down for 3 months with no proper online education is fine?

Miss B's primary school has been so poor we have lodged a complaint with the governors and will probably escalate it with the LA and local councillor if a proper plan is not put in place for lock-down mk2. We tried to move her to private but they are all full around us. Mst B's secondary state school has been top notch. Both schools have a history of producing above average results each year.
        Last edited by BlueSharp; 14 August 2020, 13:41.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Private Schools always get As across the board.
          No they don't.

I dont have a great knowledge of the English system and we dont have 6th form colleges but posh middle class schools here got graded up 9% and crap schools went up 20%.

Initially the middle class schools were marked down 5% and the crap schools marked down 15%.
          The schools and colleges that get good results normally chuck out what they regard as low performing students. I actually went to a college that did this and was surprised it was only uncovered a few years ago that a lot more schools/colleges do it. In my college a third of the people I studied with were educated until 16 in the independent sector including minor public schools.

But now we have duffers getting 5 As and knocking on good degrees cos their teacher is soft as tulip leftist who wanted to give something back to the pupils. These are the pupils who will drop out of uni next year and have a year wasted. I can guarantee drop out rates in unis here will be far higher for a couple of years.
          Your post makes no sense. I have some nephews and nieces educated in the state sector and other educated in the private sector. Their A level results are similar yet it is the ones who were educated in the state sector who got Firsts from their red brick universities.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Your post makes no sense. I have some nephews and nieces educated in the state sector and other educated in the private sector. Their A level results are similar yet it is the ones who were educated in the state sector who got Firsts from their red brick universities.
            I suppose you know some octogenarian smokers.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

Miss B's primary school has been so poor we have lodged a complaint with the governors and will probably escalate it with the LA and local councillor if a proper plan is not put in place for lock-down mk2. We tried to move her to private but they are all full around us. Mst B's secondary state school has been top notch. Both schools have a history of producing above average results each year.
              The school probably has too many teachers in the National Education Union. I suggest you look at that particular union's history.

Comment

I suppose you know some octogenarian smokers.
                I don't mix with smokers.

If you want your child to do well academically you get them into a selective school. A selective school is not necessarily in the private sector.

If you want them to make good contacts for life you send them to a public school.

Comment

I missed an entire year of school through strike action.

The leftist fookers will always pretend to have the child's interest at heart but as soon as your MP becomes a minster in the Thatcher government they are quite happy to throw a whole constituency of kids under the bus.

I'll rob a bank before I sent kids to state school.

Comment

I missed an entire year of school through strike action.

The leftist fookers will always pretend to have the child's interest at heart but as soon as your MP becomes a minster in the Thatcher government they are quite happy to throw a whole constituency of kids under the bus.

I'll rob a bank before I sent kids to state school.
                    I was lucky. The primary teachers I ended up with then a lot of my secondary teachers weren't in that f***** union. Funny thing I didn't feel lucky in primary school as I was in one of the three classes that was always in.

Oh and a lot of schools are Academies now so the unions aren't as strong as they would like to be.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
                      A*A*A went to CDD, ok..

What results in their mocks? I assume CDD or worse, else they can use mocks.. right?

Oh, hang on, apparently some schools don’t do mocks. Impressive then teachers can predict A*A*A without A’Level exam conditions.

Waiting for a better solution from someone, apart from the 30% uplift certain schools applied to their kids.

Past performance. My nearest Private School is Bolton School.. so lets use that..

Here’s the past 11 years of girl’s A’level results A*-B %wise..

The average of these is 79.6%
                      The median of these is 79.4

Boys school..last 9 years..same grades

Average 75.7
                      Median 75.6

So a variance of 0.2 and 0.1 between median and average.

You might want to reconsider what you wrote.
                      Mocks haven't been taken used yet you have to appeal those.

And her mocks were also A's - which is why the complaints are valid...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X