• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Level Screw Up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Mocks haven't been taken used yet you have to appeal those.

And her mocks were also A's - which is why the complaints are valid...
    Fair enough.. tulip that then.

She’ll get her A’s at least. Universities should take those mocks as evidence she’ll 100% be awarded them.

Comment

So OFQual were warned.

'Punishment by statistics': the father who foresaw A-level algorithm flaws | Education | The Guardian

When the English exams regulator set out how grades would be awarded following the cancellation of GCSE and A-levels this summer, there was suspicion of its “standardisation model” – a mysterious algorithm designed to avoid grade inflation.

Ofqual probably reckoned on a bit of pushback from the Labour party and maybe the teaching unions too. But in the end it was a statistics-savvy dad worried about his own son’s chances of getting into Oxbridge who correctly predicted that standardisation would result in 39% of students being downgraded, with disadvantaged pupils worst affected.

Huy Duong came to the UK as a teenager with his parents in the 1980s, a refugee from communist Vietnam. Now a father of three and an IT consultant, he told the Guardian that his formative years made him inherently opposed to anything which felt opaque and undemocratic. And that included “collective punishment by statistics
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        So OFQual were warned.

'Punishment by statistics': the father who foresaw A-level algorithm flaws | Education | The Guardian

When the English exams regulator set out how grades would be awarded following the cancellation of GCSE and A-levels this summer, there was suspicion of its “standardisation model” – a mysterious algorithm designed to avoid grade inflation.

Ofqual probably reckoned on a bit of pushback from the Labour party and maybe the teaching unions too. But in the end it was a statistics-savvy dad worried about his own son’s chances of getting into Oxbridge who correctly predicted that standardisation would result in 39% of students being downgraded, with disadvantaged pupils worst affected.

Huy Duong came to the UK as a teenager with his parents in the 1980s, a refugee from communist Vietnam. Now a father of three and an IT consultant, he told the Guardian that his formative years made him inherently opposed to anything which felt opaque and undemocratic. And that included “collective punishment by statistics
        Interesting read. Not sure it takes a genius to predict certain teachers would try it on and inflate grades.

..anyway.. the article was good till..

“It was little solace to Thanh, even after Cambridge decided to accept him regardless. Opening the email with his results was a “stomach-dropping experience”, he said. “These results will affect us for at least the next 10 years, getting my first job, although I recognise my situation isn’t the worst … “

Greedy git, he got an A instead of A* In Maths and his cambridge place and he’s whinging about future job prospects.

He could have had a bad exam day and failed to get that A*

He’s not had to revise, not had the stress of exams, and had his cambridge place given to him.

He can stuff off.

Oh.. no one has even mentioned the fact he can sit the bloody exam still having an extra 6 months to revise.
        Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 15 August 2020, 07:24.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
          Interesting read. Not sure it takes a genius to predict certain teachers would try it on and inflate grades.

..anyway.. the article was good till..

“It was little solace to Thanh, even after Cambridge decided to accept him regardless. Opening the email with his results was a “stomach-dropping experience”, he said. “These results will affect us for at least the next 10 years, getting my first job, although I recognise my situation isn’t the worst … “

Greedy git, he got an A instead of A* In Maths and his cambridge place and he’s whinging about future job prospects.

He could have had a bad exam day and failed to get that A*

He’s not had to revise, not had the stress of exams, and had his cambridge place given to him.

He can stuff off.

Oh.. no one has even mentioned the fact he can sit the bloody exam still having an extra 6 months to revise.
          The most equitable solution would have been all universities honoring their offers and making them unconditional. The current way has messed up the lives of 10's thousands of kids lives and even if the kids appeal and win, there is no guarantee that their uni place will still be available (actually, pretty sure the place will already have been given away).

Big kudos to the Cambridge college that has honored its offers.
          Last edited by Whorty; 15 August 2020, 09:21.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Thankfully I’m not close enough to the A Levels to have a vested interest this year, my eldest is only about to start Year 10.

What stands out to me is this year there is a 2.4% rise in A*-C grade, which every other year would be met with equal amounts of photos of young girls jumping in the air, and also cries that the exams are getting too easy.

If the results weren’t adjusted down wouldn’t this number be even higher, and then there would be questions that the predicted grade were too generous?!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Thankfully I’m not close enough to the A Levels to have a vested interest this year, my eldest is only about to start Year 10.

What stands out to me is this year there is a 2.4% rise in A*-C grade, which every other year would be met with equal amounts of photos of young girls jumping in the air, and also cries that the exams are getting too easy.

If the results weren’t adjusted down wouldn’t this number be even higher, and then there would be questions that the predicted grade were too generous?!
              Good point in the increase. I'd not seen that point amongst most of the wailing.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                So OFQual were warned.

Huy Duong came to the UK as a teenager with his parents in the 1980s, a refugee from communist Vietnam. Now a father of three and an IT consultant
                He sounds like a dick.

Comment

Mind you, Williamson only had 5 months to come up with a reasonable plan, lucky for him he could release it at the 11th hour

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
                    He sounds like a dick.
                    You are just jealous your siblings and children aren't as academic.

Anyway he isn't the only one who pointed out the **** up in Ofquals algorithm.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Spot the grammar mistake (there may be more than one but I'm seeing the most obvious as I didn't take A level English ):

[source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53797129 ]

Seems they need to downgrade them on evidence so far.

Spoler alert for those bad with the lamps: "Your from Eton". No wonder she's wearing a mask.
                      Last edited by Hobosapien; 16 August 2020, 14:08. Reason: Bonus point for the spelling mistake in my own work. [emb]
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X