• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Level Screw Up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Spot the grammar mistake (there may be more than one but I'm seeing the most obvious as I didn't take A level English ):

[source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53797129 ]

Seems they need to downgrade them on evidence so far. [emoji14]

Spoler alert for those bad with the lamps: "Your from Eton". No wonder she's wearing a mask.
    No proof they did either.

(The link you posted just lists the most recent stories including Ofquals disappearing appeals process.)
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Spot the grammar mistake (there may be more than one but I'm seeing the most obvious as I didn't take A level English ):

[source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-53797129 ]

Seems they need to downgrade them on evidence so far.

Spoler alert for those bad with the lamps: "Your from Eton". No wonder she's wearing a mask.
      Somewhat amusingly, there are no grammar mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Thankfully I’m not close enough to the A Levels to have a vested interest this year, my eldest is only about to start Year 10.

What stands out to me is this year there is a 2.4% rise in A*-C grade, which every other year would be met with equal amounts of photos of young girls jumping in the air, and also cries that the exams are getting too easy.

If the results weren’t adjusted down wouldn’t this number be even higher, and then there would be questions that the predicted grade were too generous?!
        That rise is very much based on private schools who (in many cases) got given their predicted grades. It a different story elsewhere:

An analysis by the Sixth Form Colleges Association (SFCA) looked at 65,000 exam entries in 41 subjects from its members and found that grades were 20% lower than historic performances for similar students in those colleges.

The SFCA said it had not found a single one where the results were above the three-year average.
        England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Thankfully I’m not close enough to the A Levels to have a vested interest this year, my eldest is only about to start Year 10.

What stands out to me is this year there is a 2.4% rise in A*-C grade, which every other year would be met with equal amounts of photos of young girls jumping in the air, and also cries that the exams are getting too easy.

If the results weren’t adjusted down wouldn’t this number be even higher, and then there would be questions that the predicted grade were too generous?!
          Nope too many U grades.

https://twitter.com/michaelgoodier/s...520832/photo/1

If they use the same algorithm with GCSEs there will be a f***ing mess.

Comment

Less than 5 students - teacher predicted grades

5 - 15 students - teacher predicted grades given some weighting

Over 15 students - the algorithm used leading to too many U grades.

So 6 Form Colleges have lower results.

Government should be making an announcement as senior tories making a fuss.

Comment

All this faffing about. Just give them all As, let them apply to whichever unis they want, and if the uni is fussy they can provide an entrance exam to keep the dimboes away. Sorted.

If the foreign students stay away that keep many unis afloat, the unis will take anyone willing to get into serious debt for the priviledge. £9k/year for all sorts of useless in real life courses, just to stay off the unemployed list for a few years longer.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Will we be seeing another Tory u-turn shortly or lose a few thousand voters at the next general election:

Gavin Williamson is drawing a line. After a week of unrelenting criticism from schools, Labour, the unions, Tory MPs and even Michael Gove’s wife, the journalist Sarah Vine, he is adamant that the A-level grading system is here to stay. “This is it,” the education secretary says. “No U-turn, no change.”
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Scottish U turn [x]
                  NI U turn [ ] (only GCSEs)
                  Welsh U turn [x]
                  English U turn [ ]

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Scottish U turn [x]
                    NI U turn [ ] (only GCSEs)
                    Welsh U turn [x]
                    English U turn [x]
                    Update above

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Update above
                      Guess they had no choice after wales and scotland.

Hope everyone gets what they deserve.

My lad, GCSE’s on Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                      X