• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bored with WFH yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I'm surprised by the large number of posters on here that this is their first experience of WFH.

I've done it on and off for years. In one place only people who answered their phones/messages promptly got to do it. In other places they didn't care as long as the work was done by agreed deadlines.
    When I've done WFH previously, I used to spend a couple of hours in a coffee shop each day, which I do miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      My current contract has been classified as essential work throughout but the client site is not good for social distancing. So I've been going in once every week or two when necessary for a workshop. It's a great principle to preserve from a work / life balance and climate change / air pollution perspective - go in when you have to.
      Yep, couldn't agree more. Whenever I tell people that permanent WFH has some drawbacks they seem to think I'm arguing for a 2 hour rush hour commute every day - I just need the balance, and even a day or two every couple of weeks is fine. Sometimes you just get so much more done face to face, and sometimes the office environment is just more productive in itself.

I also think it's really important to try and meet as many of your co-workers as you can - people work so differently when they feel, uh "socially connected" for want of a better word. I'm sure we've all met that person we thought was a dick and found them to be thoroughly agreeable over a pint.

COVID has been particularly tough as I couldn't even take lunches out, and although they're open the local cafe's aren't happy with you working there etc (understandably, of course)

Comment

I started my current gig on the day lockdown started so have never met the people I'm working with other than over Teams.

There's loads extra I could have achieved / done quicker with an occasional office visit (if the office was open) - those quick chats by the side of the desk, popping off for a coffee and a catch up etc.

I have no desire to do a multi-hour commute but there are benefits to being all in the same place occasionally.

Client Co has re-opened its offices and it seems a certain management layer are showing face. Official client guidance is still stay at home.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I started my current gig on the day lockdown started so have never met the people I'm working with other than over Teams.

There's loads extra I could have achieved / done quicker with an occasional office visit (if the office was open) - those quick chats by the side of the desk, popping off for a coffee and a catch up etc.

I have no desire to do a multi-hour commute but there are benefits to being all in the same place occasionally.

Client Co has re-opened its offices and it seems a certain management layer are showing face. Official client guidance is still stay at home.
          I'm starting a new gig in a couple of weeks and it's going to be 100% WFH. Fortunately I know three people there well for gigs at other clients.

Comment

WFH 95% tends to work as when you do come in for the odd day you tend to plan it just better with who you need to see/speak to and it can be more organised/productive.

I remember WFH with IBM for two years but I did have a choice of three locations to work from if I was bored with being at home. Virgin Media was best, nice canteen, awesome lattes and the cricket on a TV above my head.

qh
            Last edited by quackhandle; 14 August 2020, 13:24.
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I’m bored with the summer holidays, will be much better when there’s nobody loitering around in my house while I’m WFH.

Comment

Friend of mine has been working from home for years. Used to brag about it all the time; 2 years ago he got a kid and the wife stopped working. He's been wishing to have an office ever since and before the pandemic he also went to work from the public library a few times. He's not sending me bragging messages on whatsapp anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Nope, we were told no return to office this year

Over 50’s have not to return until vaccine in available

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  June next year then at the earliest..
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As bored as I might get WFH, apparently w@nking in the office is frowned upon so it's probably best I stay at home to do it
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Ironically, my current contract was the first time I’ve had to go into the office 5 days a week for something like 12 years.

Now been WFH since March. Doubt I will return before my contract finishes.

Comment

Working...
                      X