• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Grant Shapps ****s up again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grant Shapps ****s up again

So typical of this Tory government:

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps announces Brits coming from France will have to quarantine from Sunday
    But official government advice is:

The following countries and territories will be removed from the travel corridor list at 4am, Saturday 15 August 2020:
    • Aruba
    • France
    • Malta
    • Monaco
    • the Netherlands
    • Turks and Caicos Islands
    Airfares, train fares and french petrol stations along the Autoroute del Soleil have all put their prices up, people have booked to travel on Friday are now ****ed, well done that man
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Airfares, train fares and french petrol stations along the Autoroute del Soleil have all put their prices up, people have booked to travel on Friday are now ****ed, well done that man
    Blame Shapps if you like, but anyone travelling should have known the risk. Well done to the Government for bringing this in quickly, and not dicking around for days for fear of pissing-off the French.
    You could always simply ignore the quarantine order, which is impossible to enforce, and take your chances. I'm sure you won't be caught.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Blame Shapps if you like, but anyone travelling should have known the risk. Well done to the Government for bringing this in quickly, and not dicking around for days for fear of pissing-off the French.
      You could always simply ignore the quarantine order, which is impossible to enforce, and take your chances. I'm sure you won't be caught.
      Actually it just goes to show that Shapps is a ******* idiot.

I'm actually wondering how they would enforce the quarantine if you drove back from Europe and had to go through France or Holland or Belgium. The official advice is that if you don't get out of your car then you don't need to, so how many people are just going to ignore this and continue as they were? How many of these people might be bringing CV-19 back to the UK? Surely it would be better to either say you can't come back for at least another 2 weeks or when they do come back, put them up in hotels or camps until the quarantine period is over
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm actually wondering how they would enforce the quarantine if you drove back from Europe and had to go through France or Holland or Belgium. The official advice is that if you don't get out of your car then you don't need to, so how many people are just going to ignore this and continue as they were? How many of these people might be bringing CV-19 back to the UK? Surely it would be better to either say you can't come back for at least another 2 weeks or when they do come back, put them up in hotels or camps until the quarantine period is over
        Don't be silly that means the government would have to be organised and can't blame the public if things screw up.

Oddly in NZ they aren't blaming the government.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I can't argue against that, but trying to be objective for a moment (you should try that sometime) he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Anyone who travels 'anywhere' is playing Russian Roulette with the ever changing regulations, which is why we're staying in the south of England where we're only about 2 hrs drive from home should anything go wrong.

They know that quarantine is 'advisory' - it isn't possible to keep tabs on half-a-million+ people, so it can never be enforced. Putting them in hotels isn't an option, everything's booked, either by people staying here, or by Serco.
          If people are bringing CV-19 back with them, it's because they are irresponsible feckwits, and no Government can legislate for that.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Blame Shapps if you like, but anyone travelling should have known the risk.
            You can definitely blame Shapps for getting the date wrong. Risk is irrelevant to that argument.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              You can definitely blame Shapps for getting the date wrong*. Risk is irrelevant to that argument.
              *I missed that, Darmy forgot to post a link. His blood pressure must be nuclear by now.

The risk is that the rules may change at short notice, I don't see what difference it makes whether he got the date wrong. We have known for at least a week that France was going to be on the list, anyone travelling anywhere is taking a risk.

Comment

Mick Jones' cousin, apparently.

Comment

It just means that you failed to comprehend the original post. I'm not blaming him for bringing it in, just the fact he got the dates wrong causing untold problems for a lot of people
                  *I missed that, Darmy forgot to post a link. His blood pressure must be nuclear by now.

The risk is that the rules may change at short notice, I don't see what difference it makes whether he got the date wrong. We have known for at least a week that France was going to be on the list, anyone travelling anywhere is taking a risk.
                  Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon

Comment

It just means that you failed to comprehend the original post. I'm not blaming him for bringing it in, just the fact he got the dates wrong causing untold problems for a lot of people

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
                    Try to use a normal sized font, if you're emphasising the difference between a Saturday and a Sunday. If in doubt, ignore the quarantine, and blame Grant Shapps for misleading the public.

Comment

Working...
                    X