• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

England rugby star Courtney Lawes calls on Government to incentivise marriage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England rugby star Courtney Lawes calls on Government to incentivise marriage

“ England rugby star Courtney Lawes has called on the Government to incentivise marriage, as a new report reveals cohabiting couples are four times more likely to separate.

Writing in the Telegraph, the 31-year-old lock insists: "A stable family means one where the parents are married.””

Exclusive: England rugby star Courtney Lawes calls on Government to incentivise marriage

Law legalising pre-nups would do nicely

This bunch of idiots have made enough screw ups already.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've been cohabiting for the same amount of years as that person has been alive, never hurt me. In fact I find it much better than the old fashioned concept of having to go through the whole marriage concept
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Doesn't cohabitation help the taxman especially at the lower end?

Comment

Children of married parents have by far the best life outcomes. This should be seen as investment.

And I'm sure when the "My Dads are married" numbers build they will show less than ideal outcomes.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Children of married parents have by far the best life outcomes. This should be seen as investment.

And I'm sure when the "My Dads are married" numbers build they will show less than ideal outcomes.
            The figures are skewed as if you are wealthier you are more likely to wait to have children until you are older and therefore more likely to bother getting married. Wealthier parents children tend to have better life outcomes anyway.

Comment

Isn't this all a bit chicken and egg? Presumably one of the reasons married couples stay together is they felt they were committed enough to each other to get married. If you start offering a financial incentive people might start entering marriages on a less firm footing?

Comment

Some people need the nanny state to approve their relationship. They need to feel they are being supervised, otherwise their life falls apart (mostly in their imagination).

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I've been cohabiting for the same amount of years as that person has been alive, never hurt me. In fact I find it much better than the old fashioned concept of having to go through the whole marriage concept
                  No but in English Law you are not NoK, can bite very hard when one of you dies for the survivor. Marriage isn't a concept its a very public declaration of love and commitment, which is exactly why the gay community have been pressing for it in it's fullest sense.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                  X