• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sensible Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sensible Labour

Ministry of Defence told to make new £1.5bn fleet of ships in Britain. MoD has said it is open to international suppliers but Labour wants the Government to give the contract to British workers
    John Healey, the shadow defence secretary, told The Telegraph: “If we fail to back British skills we risk losing them for good and weakening both our security and industrial base for the future.”
    “They are selling Britain short by not putting the work into UK shipyards. No other major military nation has ordered naval support ships from foreign yards,” he said.

Mr Healey urged the Government to consider that “what can be built in Britain now, must be built in Britain”.

“And long-term defence and security procurement, must also involve plans to develop the UK’s future capacity to build in Britain. This is one test by which we will judge the Government’s new Integrated Review of defence and security.”
    Ministry of Defence told to make new GBP1.5bn fleet of ships in Britain

This is what Labour used to be like in the 70s when I supported them, putting British working people first and keeping skills in our own nation.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Nah.

Let's have the Germans build them.

After all they supply most of our ammo.

Originally posted by Vice Admiral Beatty at Jutland
    there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Ministry of Defence told to make new GBP1.5bn fleet of ships in Britain

This is what Labour used to be like in the 70s when I supported them, putting British working people first and keeping skills in our own nation.
      So labour wants to overpay for a fleet of ships so it can prop up it's union paymasters by keeping their subs rolling in?

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        So labour wants to overpay for a fleet of ships so it can prop up it's union paymasters by keeping their subs rolling in?

Do you think it is better for the taxpayer to pay for people to actually work or to pay for them to be unemployed in a recession?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Do you think it is better for the taxpayer to pay for people to actually work or to pay for them to be unemployed in a recession?
          Paying people to work to get out of a recession does not work. You just hinder the efficient bits of the economy by taxing them and stop the people out of work going back to work in those efficient bits.

FDR started the new deal in 1934 when unemployment was 21%, 4 years later it was 19%.

If he had just printed money from the get go it would have all been better.

Comment

It's going to be like some countries have with their outsourced planes - for example the pilot needs to call the manufacturer for a launch code before take off

I think this is insane to outsource our security.

Maybe if we stop building useless cycle lanes and other vanity projects there will be money for domestic workers to build something that is actually useful?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Paying people to work to get out of a recession does not work. You just hinder the efficient bits of the economy by taxing them and stop the people out of work going back to work in those efficient bits.

FDR started the new deal in 1934 when unemployment was 21%, 4 years later it was 19%.

If he had just printed money from the get go it would have all been better.
              There's never going to be a consensus on that piece of economic history.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                There's never going to be a consensus on that piece of economic history.
                Yes, some people are wrong. FDR was wrong.

The lessons learned with money supply from that period are now what we run our economy from.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Yes, some people are wrong. FDR was wrong.
                  That's your opinion. Others disagree.

Comment

The steel work could easily be knocked up in Korea or Japan for a fraction of the price then towed over.

Comment

Working...
                    X