• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom - Man From HK infected twice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Seems like she got it worse second time around:
    Some of the researchers think that is more like common cold inducing coronaviruses, so how ill you are depends on how your body reacts to the individual strain.

Others think that if you have a mild form of Covid-19 then your antibody levels aren't high enough to fight of a subsequent reinfection with a different strain.

Either way herd immunity is a no-go.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Either way herd immunity is a no-go.
      Makes one wonder how NZ and other places trying to keep it away deal with the news. Maybe they're hoping if enough countries keep it low level they can continue doing the 'all incomers must quarantine' routine, which will get easier as testing turnaround improves and more info is known on asymptomatic cases and other characteristics of the virus.

Not been following the news closely, too much doom , have NZ found out the cause of the recent outbreak? Poor quarantine procedure/flouting rules, or the virus shipped in on packaging or food/animals or some other way?
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Not been following the news closely, too much doom , have NZ found out the cause of the recent outbreak? Poor quarantine procedure/flouting rules, or the virus shipped in on packaging or food/animals or some other way?
        Explainer: Source of New Zealand coronavirus outbreak still a mystery - Reuters

They are not sure.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

On the subject of different strains: the chap from HK was infected with two different strains. His earlier infection was with the strain common around HK/China months ago; his more recent, asymptomatic infection was the strain that's been circulating in Europe (and the US, I believe), acquired when he travelled out of HK and detected on his return. This has been confirmed by RNA analysis of samples taken from him at the two different times.

In other words: in this known case of a person being infected with two different strains, the ability of his immune system to protect against the virus conferred by infection with the first strain was effective against the second strain. It's only N=1, but is still better data than anecdotal accounts of what have been assumed to be cases of reinfection.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            On the subject of different strains: the chap from HK was infected with two different strains. His earlier infection was with the strain common around HK/China months ago; his more recent, asymptomatic infection was the strain that's been circulating in Europe (and the US, I believe), acquired when he travelled out of HK and detected on his return. This has been confirmed by RNA analysis of samples taken from him at the two different times.

In other words: in this known case of a person being infected with two different strains, the ability of his immune system to protect against the virus conferred by infection with the first strain was effective against the second strain. It's only N=1, but is still better data than anecdotal accounts of what have been assumed to be cases of reinfection.
            Don't baffle them with sensible posts.
            they'll loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Different strains, so maybe the second one was the one wielding the barbed wire baseball bat.
              Also the after effects of the virus affect some worse than others where it takes some months to recover, so reinfection over and over again may be a slow death as the body fails to recover 100% between infections.

<snip>
              I agree with this. Some regular senior management travelers have been infected with the severe/original strain and a few have ended up in hospital. If I compare this to the local friends, most who have tested positive have had felt bad for a week or two but had no lung involvement. The lung involvement pneumonia strain seems to have some aspect of it cause much more damage to a higher percentage of those people those who are fit and otherwise healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by jainnode View Post
                Don't baffle them with sensible posts.
                they'll loop.
                I agree ... but ... have one of these anyway ..... FOG
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

FOW

Comment

Working...
                  X