• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom - Man From HK infected twice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom - Man From HK infected twice

Coronavirus: Scientists claim first human reinfected with Covid-19 | The Independent

News > Health

00:02

00:34

Coronavirus: Scientists claim first human reinfected with Covid-19

Hong Kong man experienced a second infection of Covid-19 just four months after recovering from earlier sickness

Scientists have reported the world’s first case of a human being reinfected with coronavirus in a discovery that could have significant implications for the development of vaccines and hopes of natural immunity against the virus.

Researchers at Hong Kong University’s department of microbiology said genetic sequencing of the virus showed a Hong Kong man was infected twice by different versions of the Covid-19 virus months apart.

According to the study paper, the patient was a 33-year-old man who was in good health. When he was first infected he suffered a cough, sore throat, fever and headache for three days. He had a test that confirmed Covid-19 and he was hospitalised on March 29.

He was discharged on 14 April after two negative swab tests.

Four and a half months later he was returning to Hong Kong from Spain via the UK when he tested positive during entry screening at Hong King airport on 15 August. He was hospitalised again but had no symptoms throughout.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

secret services are probably quite aware and are briefing the people in charge. But I don't think it will change the current narative in any way.
    It has always been a concern but not that much mentioned as prime news...

this is how society works some people have to be sacrificied for others to have a quiet life. it has not been any different during time. depends on what end of the stick you are.
    IT and professionals might feel comfortable but I would not get so, not just yet.
    Maybe covid we'll bring a fairer more open society but until than, it still looks to me a more refined version of feudalism.
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 24 August 2020, 17:31.

Comment

I wouldn't panic just yet.

Some people get chickenpox twice, most people don't, I don't think we're all going to be wiped out just yet.

Now 2027 is an entirely different matter.
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Says he had no symptoms the second time... doesn't that mean that his antibodies from first infection likely fought off the second one? Isn't that what we are hoping for? I am a little confused.

Also crazy that he was hospitalised the first time with mild symptoms and the second time with no symptoms.

Comment

He got a good deal. Buy one get one free.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
            I wouldn't panic just yet.

Some people get chickenpox twice, most people don't, ..
            I'm inclined to agree, but the snag with catching an infectious virus more than once is that it gives more opportunity to infect others who haven't had it at all yet.
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 24 August 2020, 19:40.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I'm inclinded to agree, but the snag with catching an infectious virus more than once is that it gives more opportunity to infect others who haven't had it at all yet.
              You'd expect a few cases of reinfections with over 20 million known infections worldwide. Something to watch, but not to panic over.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                Says he had no symptoms the second time... doesn't that mean that his antibodies from first infection likely fought off the second one? Isn't that what we are hoping for? I am a little confused.
                That's exactly what happened: his immune system, having been "trained" by the first infection, immediately kicked in and wiped out the second infection. And yes, that's what's supposed to happen.

Although journalists still seem to struggle with the notion of learning some science rather than posting clickbait, the fact is that developing immunity doesn't mean that it becomes impossible for a virus or bacterium to infect you, just that it gets dealt with before it can do any harm once it's in there.

Comment

And Argentina

Seems like she got it worse second time around:

In Argentina, Alejandra Müller, a hospital director in the town of Helvecia in the central province of Santa Fe, was first diagnosed with Covid-19 on 24 March, after acquiring the virus from a child who had fallen ill. Müller recovered from the virus and, after testing negative, was able to return to her job.

“That first time I was back at work after two weeks, having had only some chest pain, some throat congestion, a bit of fever and pharyngitis,” Müller told the daily La Nación.

The doctor submitted to two tests in April, both of which came back negative, before receiving the all clear. “I thought I had acquired immunity,” Müller said.

But four months later Müller fell ill with the virus again, much harder this time. “The second time the infection was completely different,” said Müller. The doctor developed pneumonia at the end of July and had to go into hospital for five days. “I had all the symptoms, except losing my sense of taste, though I did lose my sense of smell.”
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Seems like she got it worse second time around:
                    Different strains, so maybe the second one was the one wielding the barbed wire baseball bat.
                    Also the after effects of the virus affect some worse than others where it takes some months to recover, so reinfection over and over again may be a slow death as the body fails to recover 100% between infections.

Be sure that whatever happens some will be looking to make billions from a 'working' vaccine however ineffective it may be. If the most at risk needed quarterly innoculations for different strains that would be better for 'big pharma' than a cure, as it always is. Drug dealers don't intentionally kill off their trade. They'd love it if everyone became a pill popper. [tin foil hat now removed]
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X