• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any golfers in CUK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any golfers in CUK

Yeah, yeah, good walk spoiled and all that. It could be worse, you could be a cyclist.

Just started out on my golfing journey this summer as it's one of few sports that you can partake in during lockdown. Surprisingly enjoyable once there's a bit of consistency going. Almost glad I'm not still contracting in Canary Wharf or I'd be one of those "all the gear and no idea" guys with a fill set of Callaway Mavriks or something.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

I gave my clubs away 2 weeks ago. They'd been unused for the best part of a decade.

My 3 tips:
    1. Head down
    2. Swing slow
    3. Follow through

And in the words of Gary Player "Drive for show, putt for dough"
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Yeah, yeah, good walk spoiled and all that. It could be worse, you could be a cyclist.

Just started out on my golfing journey this summer as it's one of few sports that you can partake in during lockdown. Surprisingly enjoyable once there's a bit of consistency going. Almost glad I'm not still contracting in Canary Wharf or I'd be one of those "all the gear and no idea" guys with a fill set of Callaway Mavriks or something.
      I remember Arnold Palmer playing golf with a broom to demonstrate just that. Like a champ that his was, he played perfectly using just a broom.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Got down to a 4 handicap as a teenager (worked part time in a pro shop, so was at the course every weekend) but stopped playing when I went to uni. Haven’t played since then.

Comment

Not my cup of tea but enjoy. There's a surprising amount of municipal golf courses if you want a reasonably priced round, avoiding gold club types.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Not my cup of tea but enjoy. There's a surprising amount of municipal golf courses if you want a reasonably priced round, avoiding gold club types.
            Yes, I mainly played the public courses as a kid. Doesn’t have to be expensive (especially as a kid).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Yes, I mainly played the public courses as a kid. Doesn’t have to be expensive (especially as a kid).
              Tenner for 9 holes or 15 for 18 is pretty good value (weekend rates).

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Exactly the same as me. Just 3 weeks before lock down my lad took me to the driving range and it was surprisingly good fun even though I only hit like 3 decent shots out of 50. Managed to get two lessons in before lockdown. Mainly to support my lad so he can play with his mates and I was hooked.

During lockdown I bought a hitting tent, load of practice balls, chipping net and plenty of training aids and we've used them throughout the period. Had great fun. It's worked as i can hit most at the driving range which we now go to a few times a week together.

Been a bit of a lifesaver over lock down and some great bonding time with my step lad.

I'm now in the middle of converting my garage in to a simulator. Bought the cheap optishot thing and projector for the wall. Can't wait.

Still using hand me down clubs though. Might be a contractor but I'm too tight to be spending tons on clubs at this stage.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Exactly the same as me. Just 3 weeks before lock down my lad took me to the driving range and it was surprisingly good fun even though I only hit like 3 decent shots out of 50. Managed to get two lessons in before lockdown. Mainly to support my lad so he can play with his mates and I was hooked.

During lockdown I bought a hitting tent, load of practice balls, chipping net and plenty of training aids and we've used them throughout the period. Had great fun. It's worked as i can hit most at the driving range which we now go to a few times a week together.

Been a bit of a lifesaver over lock down and some great bonding time with my step lad.

I'm now in the middle of converting my garage in to a simulator. Bought the cheap optishot thing and projector for the wall. Can't wait.

Still using hand me down clubs though. Might be a contractor but I'm too tight to be spending tons on clubs at this stage.
                  There will be all kinds of 2nd hand gear on the market at fire sale prices once the recession really bites.

Comment

I've been playing for years and I'm still crap. But really enjoy it (and hate it). It's good fun and a good chance to catch up with mates.
                    And is a great excuse to get to Spain/Portugal for a long weekend with the lads, once a year

Comment

Working...
                    X