• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom - No Sandwiches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom - No Sandwiches

Covid crisis at Britain's food plants: 75 staff test positive at chicken factory in Norfolk | Daily Mail Online

Marks and Spencer has been hit with a sandwich shortage after its supplier was forced to close its factory amid a surge in coronavirus cases among workers.

Greencore, which manufactures own-label sandwiches for the retailer, announced a temporary closure of its Northampton plant last week after 292 staff tested positive for the virus.

Irate customers have reported a shortage of sandwiches since the plant's closure, taking to social media to express their frustrations.

Sandwich aisles at some M&S stores also appear to have been covered up, with the supermarket leaving a note on half-empty shelves admitting to supply issues.

In the retailer's High Street Kensington station branch, only Cheese and Onion, Tuna and Sweetcorn and Free Range Egg and Watercress sandwiches are available.

It is the latest in a coronvirus crisis that is plaguing Britain's food plants, with the head of the Food Standards Agency revealing there are 40 active outbreaks in factories in England alone - with more recorded in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Dr Colin Sullivan, Chief Operating Officer at the FSA, admitted the figure is not comprehensive, and may be higher, but said: 'The number that I mentioned, was one we are content to make public. It is a small number of a big total.'

A huge chicken factory in Norfolk is the latest plant forced to close with 350 families put into isolation after 75 workers tested positive for coronavirus.

Banham Poultry in the village of Attleborough voluntarily agreed to close its cutting room following an outbreak of the virus.

The first case of Covid was reported last Friday, when one worker said they felt unwell. By Monday, seven out of 15 tested were found to have the virus.

Almost 400 workers have now been tested, though officials claim that any potential geographical spread of the virus from Banham Poultry is low.

The outbreak has however sparked fears that Norfolk will be plunged back into a local lockdown - with the county the subject of a government review later today.

It is the latest food processing facility in Britain forced to close after an outbreak of coronavirus cases.

Other major food producers, such as Cranswick and 2 Sisters Food Group, have also closed plants following a surge in cases among staff.

Experts have suggested the cold conditions inside the plants may be conducive to the spread of the virus.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

You really are AtW!

FOAtW!

Comment

You beat me to it.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Keep it up SE. An untriggered snowflake is a bored snowflake.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          You really are AtW!

FOAtW!

Even AtW knows how to make his own sandwiches.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Barbecued Smoked Squirrel Sandwiches | Realtree Camo

Comment

The phrase "chicken factory" is particulary foul*

*yes, or fowl but I was being serious
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                The phrase "chicken factory" is particulary foul*

*yes, or fowl but I was being serious
                It's a poultry problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  You really are AtW!

FOAtW!

AtW is out celebrating the new Lib Dim leader.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Of course! That's his Plan B.

Comment

Working...
                    X