• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extinction Rebellion Are Back!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out this morning, Extinction Rebellion posters plastered nearly everywhere and spayed graphite of their symbol on traffic signs. Are they expecting sympathy with their cause?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Went out this morning, Extinction Rebellion posters plastered nearly everywhere and spayed graphite of their symbol on traffic signs. Are they expecting sympathy with their cause?
      Banksy they are not. Though if he gets away with it then it's like the broken window theory.

Also isn't he from Bristol, based on number of works he's produced in that area, so no coincidence they seem to target Bristol quite often.

One of their bints was in the process of drawing a big XR logo on the beach at low tide the other day when I was out for a run. At least the tide cleans up that mess.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

We need to get used to it as they might be around for several thousand years.

When will Temperatures start to fall? Part1 | Watts Up With That?

I emailed around a dozen leading climate scientists to ask that if emissions stopped dead, how long would it take temperatures to drop back towards the desired pre industrial levels?. That is to say around a couple of degrees centigrade. (This doesn’t take into account that the temperature by 2030 or 2050 should be higher than now as Co2 continues to increase, plus there is the ‘heat in the pipeline’)

Most responded. Some had never done the calculations, others didn’t feel there was sufficient data for accurate projections. One said we should start to see a slight reduction in temperatures in around 400 years, but the full effect would not come about for possibly thousands.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I may be reading you guys wrong, but I get the feeling there are a few fans of the XR movement on here. You might want to donate to the cause so this page might be of interest

Donate for Life - Extinction Rebellion UK

What I do find 'funny' is we know that climate change is happening as we're seeing it ourselves each year. It will be our kids, and their kids who will suffer worse, and yet many who have procreated don't seem to care. Very strange.

I'm a bit meh ... I haven't bred so my perfect genes die with me. I'd have thought those that have bred might be a smidge more concerned how their kids and grandkids might suffer though
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I don't think that flying for eight hours to block a bridge in London is the answer.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              I'm a bit meh ... I haven't bred so my perfect genes die with me. I'd have thought those that have bred might be a smidge more concerned how their kids and grandkids might suffer though
              Being concerned and thinking XR are bunch of fear-mongering idiots are not mutually exclusive.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Being concerned and thinking XR are bunch of fear-mongering idiots are not mutually exclusive.
                Why are they fear mongering? Factually, they are more accurate than the climate change deniers.

Like I say, if you have taken the effort to have kids and spread your genes, and you still like those kids and you want them to breed too, I'd have thought climate change would be quite important to you. But, you know, if you don't care about the future of the planet and how future generations may suffer then yep, ignore the XR movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Why are they fear mongering?
                  Because they aim to spread fear in order to promote support for their cause. That's what fear mongering means.
                  Factually, they are more accurate than the climate change deniers.
                  You are presenting a false dichotomy. It's not support XT or climate denial. You can think both groups are science denying loonies.

"The distance between Neasden and Birmingham is twenty light years" is factually more accurate than "The distance between Neasden and Birmingham is a hundred billion light years". But both are woefully inaccurate.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Because they aim to spread fear in order to promote support for their cause. That's what fear mongering means.You are presenting a false dichotomy. It's not support XT or climate denial. You can think both groups are science denying loonies.

"The distance between Neasden and Birmingham is twenty light years" is factually more accurate than "The distance between Neasden and Birmingham is a hundred billion light years". But both are woefully inaccurate.
                    It is if you go via ADS 7251 and as there are too many idiots relying on GPS now then they probably do go that way, or via Swindon
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Because they aim to spread fear in order to promote support for their cause. That's what fear mongering means.You are presenting a false dichotomy. It's not support XT or climate denial. You can think both groups are science denying loonies.

Hmmm, you say 'fear' even though what they are talking is fact. I get you don't like the facts as you don't want to change, but let's not pretend that climate change isn't happening mate. It is, and yes, it can be fearful, but hey, that's the way it is.

But if you don't care about the world your kids, and their kids, are going to end up living in then that's fine. Feel free to stick your head in the sand and pretend climate change isn't happening

Comment

Working...
                      X