• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

After retirement...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After retirement...

So when I finally retire, will I be able to do more than a couple of hours gardening or decorating without my joints all seizing up? Late 50's, I've done 5 hours graft each day for the last two days building planters from sleepers. Back, arms, legs all stiff (and legs cramped) until the inevitable alcohol lubrication. I do an hour's cardio every morning (bike and rowing) and am not a fatty. So when I do retire will I get used to the general activity of "doing things" or am I never going to be able to do stuff again without the inevitable consequences? Does 30+ years at a desk mean that there's no way back?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Exercise is composed of resistance training and flexibility as well as cardio.

So if you aren't doing all 3 parts then yes you will have problems.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The day you retire, everything will sieze up and you'll die of a heart attack the minute you pick up a plant pot.

Or, you'll be fine as long as you keep active.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        So when I finally retire, will I be able to do more than a couple of hours gardening or decorating without my joints all seizing up? Late 50's, I've done 5 hours graft each day for the last two days building planters from sleepers. Back, arms, legs all stiff (and legs cramped) until the inevitable alcohol lubrication. I do an hour's cardio every morning (bike and rowing) and am not a fatty. So when I do retire will I get used to the general activity of "doing things" or am I never going to be able to do stuff again without the inevitable consequences? Does 30+ years at a desk mean that there's no way back?
        The cardio will keep your heart in good nick and be good for endurance, but the work you've just been doing is equivalent to spending two days in the gym lifting weights. If you don't do any form of weight training, even body weight, then you are gong to feel it.

Body weight squats, press-ups, planks, situps etc are all good for building muscle tone and strength. And some of that to your regime and you'll notice a difference. You can start adding weight as you build muscle tone.

I'm early fifties and doing two days a week in the gym doing weights and 3 or 4 on the bike. One supports the other.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Don’t worry about retirement

Covid will probably kill you around the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

That’s what happens as we get older.

Be thankful for what you’ve got and keep moving.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              The day you retire, everything will sieze up and you'll die of a heart attack the minute you pick up a plant pot.

Or, you'll be fine as long as you keep active.
              That reminds me , a contractor colleague in his early 60s retired after 20 years at the same client. He died of a heart attack in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                That reminds me , a contractor colleague in his early 60s retired after 20 years at the same client. He died of a heart attack in a few weeks.
                This is why Tarbie always tells people they're a long time deid - I'm surprised he didn't say that this time

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  Reminds me of my physics teacher.

Taught for 40 years, hated every minute of it, retired, died in 6 months.

I've just remembered that he used to dry used teabags on the radiators in the lab.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    This is why Tarbie always tells people they're a long time deid - I'm surprised he didn't say that this time
                    I'm afraid Tarbie didn't make it.

Comment

Working...
                    X