• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

After retirement...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A young person would also experience a lot of muscle soreness after 5+ hours 2 days in a row if they were fairly inactive. Sure you do an hours cardio but do you do any resistance training?

You should gradually start some resistance training being careful to take care of your joints and maintain good posture and form. The older you get the harder it'll be to get better physical conditioning, it's much easier to maintain what you can.

Comment

Must admit that getting older is a bit of a bitch. I get reasonable exercise and most of my joints still work (barring a back I damaged years ago that I have to look after - so no free weights, only my multigym - and arthritis in my thumbs of all places). But you will still stiffen up badly if you go all couch potato. the trick is to keep active, be it gardening, walking the dog an hour a day, cycling (static or dangerous options are available). What irritates me as much as anything is that I can still lift and carry heavy things but my grip is rubbish and kneeling down takes rather longer than it used to...

The other challenge - and one that many miss - is keeping the brain active. This last six months have been really boring with none of my usual hobbies available and limiting me to the Times crossword for mental stimulation.

The one thing I do not miss at all is work!
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'll just stick to the Keith Richards diet...
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Must admit that getting older is a bit of a bitch. I get reasonable exercise and most of my joints still work (barring a back I damaged years ago that I have to look after - so no free weights, only my multigym - and arthritis in my thumbs of all places). But you will still stiffen up badly if you go all couch potato. the trick is to keep active, be it gardening, walking the dog an hour a day, cycling (static or dangerous options are available). What irritates me as much as anything is that I can still lift and carry heavy things but my grip is rubbish and kneeling down takes rather longer than it used to...

The other challenge - and one that many miss - is keeping the brain active. This last six months have been really boring with none of my usual hobbies available and limiting me to the Times crossword for mental stimulation.

The one thing I do not miss at all is work!
          My plan is to learn French properly.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thank you for the replies - I was actually quite heartened by most of them. I did a full eight hours again yesterday cutting and lifting sleepers single-handed and I'm actually less stiff today - my hips and lower back seem to be the main problem but my arms and legs are fine. I appreciate how lucky I am to be able to to this compare to a lot of people my age. Will look at what I can do to incorporate some weight work into my gym sessions whilst I'm still sitting on my *rse for a living.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              My plan is to learn French properly.
              Mine as well. Plus learn to weld properly.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Thank you for the replies - I was actually quite heartened by most of them. I did a full eight hours again yesterday cutting and lifting sleepers single-handed and I'm actually less stiff today - my hips and lower back seem to be the main problem but my arms and legs are fine. I appreciate how lucky I am to be able to to this compare to a lot of people my age. Will look at what I can do to incorporate some weight work into my gym sessions whilst I'm still sitting on my *rse for a living.
                The other benefit of weight work is that it helps maintain bone density, which is an issue as you get older. Osteoporosis is common problem in older people and being active and doing weight bearing and resistance exercises are the best way to prevent it.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Sounds trite but yoga is really useful as well.

Comment

You really need to be careful of your back. Lots of fit and active people run into problems as they get older. Learn how to lift things and be mindful... often it's the little things, you work for a solid day then reach down to yank up a petrol can or even a can of beer lazily, and throw it all out for a week.

Joints have a certain amount of life so I would strongly suggest knee protection as that really catches up on you, as well as ear protection. All the tradesmen I know of a certain age wish they'd paid better attention to this stuff when they were young enough it didn't seem important.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                      Sounds trite but yoga is really useful as well.
                      It's not trite.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X