• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A clever PR stunt...not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A clever PR stunt...not

Tory DEFRA minister Victoria Prentis couldn’t resist a PR stunt to draw attention to the Tories’ fisheries bill – fishing rights being one of their favourite pavlovian dogwhistles when they want to whip up hatred of foreigners and divert attention from their disasters – by posting a picture that she claimed showed her ‘catching mackerel off the Pembrokeshire coast’.

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPrentis/...43972483649538

Edit, not too sure, there might be a line as the rod is bending a bit but why is it upside down?
    Last edited by darmstadt; 31 August 2020, 08:59.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

As a non-fisher person, I had no idea the rod was upside down but it does look like there's no line in it. Considering the flex there is in a rod, I'd expect to see the end dip slightly when held out like that

Comment

I find it amusing that the SPAD who thought up the photo op didn't check which way the rod was suppose to be held.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The rod can be held in either position. It is often "upside-down" when game fishing... sorry, I don't know why. It might also be a left-hand / right-handed thing.

I don't approve of game fishing for similar reasons to those for game hunting in that it's generally the preserve of little men.
        Last edited by wattaj; 31 August 2020, 10:47. Reason: Clarity.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Thinking about it, also from the perspective of a clueless person, it's probably safer to have a rod with no line in it for a photo op!

Knowing me, I'd do something clumsy and several meters of line would issue forth and catch onto something and yank a (probably) expensive rod out of my hands, never to be seen again.

I'm in no way condoning the numptiness of the photo op, just thinking about the practicalities of having an idiot handle the kit.

Comment

Fishing without a rod.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Fishing without a rod.

I did go mullet fishing with a shotgun in my youth.

Comment

There doesn't appear to be any line on the reel at all, so there must be a very powerful minnow on the other end if there is a line

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Edit, not too sure, there might be a line as the rod is bending a bit but why is it upside down?
                  The apparent bend is extremely slight, and could easily be minor distortion from the camera lens.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

https://twitter.com/VictoriaPrentis/...43972483649538

I'm interested in mackerel. Mackerel is an interesting choice of fish. It's plentiful in UK waters, which is why it's a popular choice for sea fishing competitions (if you find a shoal you can pick them out of the sea as fast as you can reel them in — assuming your rod has a line). But...the UK is a net exporter of mackerel (just as we are a net importer of cod, haddock, etc) 67,000 tonnes in 2019. Its value depends upon demand beyond our shores, and the largest markets currently are The Netherlands, France and Romania.

Mackerel is known for spoiling quickly (there are more references to stinking mackerel in English literature than to any other fish) and ≈21,000 tonnes of ours are exported fresh. Without a trade deal, it's not only tariffs but non-tariff barriers that will become an issue. Because it spoils so easily, a lot of mackerel is processed before export (smoking, freezing, etc.). Currently, around half of those employed in the UK fish processing sector are EU nationals. It's hard to see how ending free movement of labour will not have an impact here. ]
                    Through the Gaps! - Newlyn Fishing News: Brexit discussion: Fresh mackerel, a fish that needs to move quickly. Cornwall UK fish commercial fishing fish cooking and art
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X