• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A clever PR stunt...not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It's magic British fishing line to catch magic British fish from the magic British Sea of Plenty.
    FTFY

I genuinely can't understand why you lot (passionate remainers) think it's perfectly OK for the European Government to think they can help themselves to anything in UK territorial waters after UK independence.
    There is clearly an arrangement to be made, but the starting point MUST be that the negotiation starts with UK ownership of UK waters, NOT the other way around. We are being asked (or indeed, expected) to pay in some form for their permission to fish UK waters under EU quotas and rules, whist allowing EU boats to continue virtually unhindered, and whichever way you look at that, it cannot possibly be justified.
    I accept that fishing is economically insignificant, but the UK (and any independent nation) has certain legal territorial rights, and we should be able to assert those rights after we cease to be an EU member. What the EU expect is a case of "so long, and thanks for all your fish".
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      FTFY

I genuinely can't understand why you lot (passionate remainers) think it's perfectly OK for the European Government to think they can help themselves to anything in UK territorial waters after UK independence.
      There is clearly an arrangement to be made, but the starting point MUST be that the negotiation starts with UK ownership of UK waters, NOT the other way around. We are being asked (or indeed, expected) to pay in some form for their permission to fish UK waters under EU quotas and rules, whist allowing EU boats to continue virtually unhindered, and whichever way you look at that, it cannot possibly be justified.
      I accept that fishing is economically insignificant, but the UK (and any independent nation) has certain legal territorial rights, and we should be able to assert those rights after we cease to be an EU member. What the EU expect is a case of "so long, and thanks for all your fish".

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        But there doesn't even appear to be any on the reel.
        Perhaps a Government Elf & Safety Womble decided that politicians and fishing line could be a dangerous combination...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

FTFY

Where have I suggested that it's perfectly OK for the European Government (sic) to think they can help themselves to anything in UK territorial waters after UK independence (sic)?

The British government is perfectly entitled to act within international law around access to territorial waters, and has already denounced the 1964 London Fisheries Convention. Just don't cry when you discover that the UK doesn't hold all the cards when it comes to elements of a trade deal that the UK wants.

Comment

Perhaps a Government Elf & Safety Womble decided that politicians and fishing line could be a dangerous combination...
            They're probably labelled as not suitable for use by persons of impaired cognitive ability.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              As a non-fisher person, I had no idea the rod was upside down ..
              I did a quick Google, and it seems there are two or three basic fishing rod designs, and with one (for game fishing?) holding it upside down makes it easier to use slight thumb pressure to regulate reel play out.

The only fishing I've ever done is with crab lines when I was about 8, and I don't think I ever caught a crab larger then a ten pence piece!
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                I did a quick Google, and it seems there are two or three basic fishing rod designs, and with one (for game fishing?) holding it upside down makes it easier to use slight thumb pressure to regulate reel play out.

The only fishing I've ever done is with crab lines when I was about 8, and I don't think I ever caught a crab larger then a ten pence piece!
                Setting you up for a lifetime of mediocrity.

Comment

Nowadays I just go for Brexiteers in a barrel.

Is NLyUK still doing the "U F**k UKIP" Barrel special? Even I thought that was sick.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Setting you up for a lifetime of mediocrity.
                    That was crabs, but I did manage to bag loads of large mackerels and a record-breaking tuna which I sold for £100,000!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

well done all for resisting the obvious "she can grab hold of my tackle anytime" line.

Comment

Working...
                      X