• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A clever PR stunt...not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up by a fishing port.

When I was a lad the fishmongers were full of a wide variety of wonderful fish, super fresh and tasty. The EU arrived and all the fishermen disappeared, the port lost its charm with rampant unemployment and the fishmongers went too. We got tulip from the supermarket at double the price.

You ignorant EU supporters need to look at the EU fisheries policy in some detail, trawlers are required to throw back catch that exceeds their quota. That's not how fishing works - the EU is destroying the oceans!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      IThe EU arrived and all the fishermen disappeared, the port lost its charm with rampant unemployment and the fishmongers went too
      1. The arrival of the EU and disappearance of fishermen may two disconnected events.
      2. Even if they are connected, it could well be the way the UK implemented EU policies that decimated the industry.

I'm going for 2.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I wonder who owns British fishing rights

Ohh hang on

302 Moved

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

When I was a lad the fishmongers were full of a wide variety of wonderful fish, super fresh and tasty. The EU arrived and all the fishermen disappeared, the port lost its charm with rampant unemployment and the fishmongers went too. We got tulip from the supermarket at double the price.

You ignorant EU supporters need to look at the EU fisheries policy in some detail, trawlers are required to throw back catch that exceeds their quota. That's not how fishing works - the EU is destroying the oceans!
          When did the Russian factory trawlers appear on your timeline?

Comment

I grew up near an airport, it does not make me an airline pilot.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Thank goodness!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                The old man grew up in a brothel... oh, I see now.

Comment

The UK fishing industry has been declining since the end of WWII

Fish fights: Britain has a long history of trading away access to coastal waters

From the late 1950s, the amount of fish landed per unit of power declined at a faster rate than fish landings, as the fleet continued to expend more and more effort to maintain the size of catches. However, this effort was all in vain and by 1980 catches had declined to their lowest point in a century.
                  falling fish stocks combined with the improvements in the range and power of the fleet in the post-war years led Britain’s fishers to seek new waters, with more boats moving further away from the UK to catch enough fish to meet domestic demand. And this long range trawling brought the UK fleet into conflict with Iceland.
                  British fish stocks couldn't support the fish industry before the UK joined the EU.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

British fish stocks couldn't support the fish industry before the UK joined the EU.
                    So why does it matter so much to the EU to maintain free access to UK waters? Or is it simply that you have quoted an article which suits your argument, and ignored any actual facts?
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      So why does it matter so much to the EU to maintain free access to UK waters? Or is it simply that you have quoted an article which suits your argument, and ignored any actual facts?
                      blame the fishermen who decided to put their feet up.

Propaganda delivered the Brexit vote but it can’t land more fish | Polly Toynbee | Opinion | The Guardian

Each country is free to share out its national quota as it chooses – but free-market Britain, unlike others, let fishers sell their quotas abroad. The Dutch ship Cornelis Vrolijk, registered in Caterham, owns 23% of the entire UK quota. “Slipper skippers” sold their quotas abroad – it was easier to put their feet up than to fish.
                      The fishing industry won't be revived post Brexit, the fishing ports will remain empty.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X