• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nationwide Building Society August 2020 House Price Index

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Sure thing, poops.

London is not the UK.

And use a log chart, numpty.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      If you're buying a house to have it as your home, a home that you'll keep for a long time, you don't give a crap about how much it's going to be worth in say 5 years.

Normal people don't always see everything as an investment in which you absolutely need to have a return.

People buy houses because they need houses.

They might when they discover they can't afford to live there anymore. This is what happen in the US during 2007. 'It can't happen to us' & 'this time it's different' - heard it all before.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yes and no. There is the opportunity cost of being able to buy it cheaper in a year's time, if you can time the market right...
        I get that but is it worth missing out on the right property just in case there's a cheaper deal next year? Most people just want somewhere to live.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          If you're buying a house to have it as your home, a home that you'll keep for a long time, you don't give a crap about how much it's going to be worth in say 5 years.

Normal people don't always see everything as an investment in which you absolutely need to have a return.

People buy houses because they need houses.
          I totally agree with the sentiment but if you take out a 5 year mortgage deal you could come a cropper when it comes to getting a new fixed rate, or whatever, and you're in negative equity with no lender willing to take you on.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Let me get this straight... Save on stamp duty now or buy same property with stamp duty after 40% correction. Decisions decisions....
            The former is tangible, the latter I suspect will play out as fantasy.

Not really - lay house price action over gold price, the relationship is full

If deflation comes, I'm 90% certain it will, we'll having crashing prices and a BoE losing the fight to keep interest rates low. Can't wait.
            Institute for New Economic Thinking

"Another important insight is that total returns on residential real estate are on a par with the returns to equities—on average about 7% per annum—but they are far less volatile."

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
              The former is tangible,the latter I suspect will play out as fantasy.

I think such a reply you'd have had, had you told folks in the early 90's a home would spring from 2.5 times your annual income to 12.

Seemingly fantasies can become true. Welcome to fairyland.

Comment

London is not the UK.

And use a log chart, numpty.
                Did you see there is a UK chart?

Why don't you show us your chart? We could do with one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  The former is tangible, the latter I suspect will play out as fantasy.

Institute for New Economic Thinking

"Another important insight is that total returns on residential real estate are on a par with the returns to equities—on average about 7% per annum—but they are far less volatile."
                  For the average punter, there is also utility - you live in the house.

A 25 year repayment mortgage on the full value of my house would be cheaper than renting it, and rents are likely to go up over that period.

Comment

Yes and no. There is the opportunity cost of being able to buy it cheaper in a year's time, if you can time the market right...
                    Prices don't bounce back that hard. Look left... the consolidation periods lasted months if not years. Even then the build back up was always slow to start.

Comment

For the average punter, there is also utility - you live in the house.

A 25 year repayment mortgage on the full value of my house would be cheaper than renting it, and rents are likely to go up over that period.
                      Find me one 25-year repayment mortgage deal in the UK that does not require renewal during that time.

Us Europeans are baffled by Brits having to renew every few years.

Comment

Working...
                      X