• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nationwide Building Society August 2020 House Price Index

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The former is tangible, the latter is just your nonsense.
    People have been saying for about 15 years a major crash is imminent - ever since the last slump - and clearly they have been wrong, just as they were wrong to insist QE would lead to runaway inflation after the banking crisis.

We potentially have another factor with people rushing to vacate cities in favour of more rural homes.

The last 15 years were not representative of a healthy economy. We know this. Since 2007 there's been nothing to suggest the economy was healthy. Low interest rates and endless money printing propped up asset prices again and again. On top of that credit was flowing like water. Is that still the case? Have none experienced some resistance already when trying to borrow?

Perhaps this time it is different. Nonetheless, I do believe interest rates will rise again.

From 89 to 94 prices collapsed 35%

But this time it is different. So what, up 60% in 15 short years, just like my salary - it's all win.

Notice how price have only gone up since we joined the EU. Interesting...

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The former is tangible, the latter is just your nonsense.
      People have been saying for about 15 years a major crash is imminent - ever since the last slump - and clearly they have been wrong, just as they were wrong to insist QE would lead to runaway inflation after the banking crisis.

We potentially have another factor with people rushing to vacate cities in favour of more rural homes
      Now this is nonsense. We're all moving out of the cities because of a temporary situation? How is it a nation of office workers are now allowed to work from home whilst ignoring the last several decades for working style? I'm sure that'll ramp up UK productivity

The whole idea a nation can switch to working from home is complete codswallop. The MSM media love it, that's for sure. Notwithstanding the popular opinion it is already notably the number of mental health issues cropping up amongst many without the social stimuli. WFH is not for everyone nor is it productive for many.

With the UK decoupling from its largest trading partner plus a nation going into a productivity slump in their attempt to WFH - you couldn't write a fiction on this level of doom.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Us Europeans are baffled .

Comment

Now this is nonsense. We're all moving out of the cities because of a temporary situation? How is it a nation of office workers are now allowed to work from home whilst ignoring the last several decades for working style? I'm sure that'll ramp up UK productivity

The whole idea a nation can switch to working from home is complete codswallop.
          people react to the now. Covid may be temporary - though the idea we'll be back to normal in a few months is ludicrous - but the repercussions likely won't be.
          For one thing the nation cannot switch to remote working but we've proven those who spend their day plumbed into a PC, can. Quite easily in fact.
          For another, many people have taken stock of their lives during lockdown and decided that the rat race is perhaps not the be all and end all. That living cramped up in London might be good for the bank balance but not for their kids.

HS2 and so on mean you can easily travel for a meeting if you have to. The idea you need to live in London is dead.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

people react to the now. Covid may be temporary - though the idea we'll be back to normal in a few months is ludicrous - but the repercussions likely won't be.
            For one thing the nation cannot switch to remote working but we've proven those who spend their day plumbed into a PC, can. Quite easily in fact.
            For another, many people have taken stock of their lives during lockdown and decided that the rat race is perhaps not the be all and end all. That living cramped up in London might be good for the bank balance but not for their kids.

HS2 and so on mean you can easily travel for a meeting if you have to. The idea you need to live in London is dead.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

When HS2 is ready people will already have moved back into the cities! The government should be jumping in with all feet building that 3rd runway - what a perfect opportunity.

Have noticed the local government here in Bavaria are all go with infrastructure projects. Just recently our local railway line was replaced over a period of 10-days. Very impressive engineering, pull up the old track and lay a new one all in one go!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              This .... I can see City pads dropping a bit (or at least not rising stupidly) but any small towns or villages with transport links will do well as there is definitely an interest to more out of Cities. Our village has sold all it's £600k+ properties recently and even cheaper properties are flying off the shelves. Mostly people moving from the SE.
              This is a really interesting point. I am certainly seeing a lot of my clients tell me they want to leave London so they can have some outdoor space. Whilst like Whorty, I do not predict a major fall in prices in London, I do expect property prices in places like Surrey, Sussex, Essex and Buckinghamshire to increase as a result of this.

Comment

Loving how so many are so bullish on property prices as we sit on top of the most artificially inflated asset bubble ever.

Classic bubble economies - the herd, just like a field of sheep, moving whichever way the one in front goes. Except for Shaun, he's a smart cookie.

Comment

Loving how so many are so bullish on property prices as we sit on top of the most artificially inflated asset bubble ever.

Classic bubble economies - the herd, just like a field of sheep, moving whichever way the one in front goes. Except for Shaun, he's a smart cookie.
                  You could be the odd one out because you're a visionary and everyone else is idiot. You could be the odd one out because YOU'RE the idiot. The little drummer boy who the rest of the band are out of time with.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You could be the odd one out because you're a visionary and everyone else is idiot. You could be the odd one out because YOU'RE the idiot. The little drummer boy who the rest of the band are out of time with.
                    He's creating a false dichotomy where you either believe there will be a massive crash or you're bullish. Typical pooper-drivel.

Comment

I'm not saying everyone else is an idiot. Where do I say that? Find that post..

I'm saying the herd gets it wrong. Period. If the herd got it right every time we'd all be rich. That's not the world we live in.

Comment

Working...
                      X