• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How are people on the bench finding the market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a brief flurry of activity in my skillset around mid July during which I secured 2 interviews, one of which led to the role I am now in. Outside IR35 and good day rate.

Keep your pecker up - I had 3 months without a peep apart from the obvious fake job / tata type calls. Then, like buses, 2 come along at once.

I'm sure the same will happen to you too!

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      Speaking as someone who will likely be on the bench very soon, the market is just depressing..
      You'll now have more time to post on cUK stock market crash thread.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Market is near non-existent. And, as chronicled in the other thread - I managed to lose out on the only interview for a decent paying job in months by being over qualified so that hurt a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Market is near non-existent. And, as chronicled in the other thread - I managed to lose out on the only interview for a decent paying job in months by being over qualified so that hurt a bit.
          Sorry to hear that. Best of luck next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Sorry to hear that. Best of luck next time.
            Cheers! I'm one of the lucky ones in that I've got bits and bobs of ad-hoc work with old clients, so my warchest burn rate isn't horrendous but getting mighty bored of seeing empty job boards and because I don't know how long it's gonna last, I feel like my life is on hold now

Comment

The role I landed, while a very good one, will only run until the end of November with no possibility of extension.

I'm not too optimistic about things having improved much by then and am kind of resigned to another 2-3 months out possibly.

So, rather than languishing here in a miserable, damp winter I'm going to make the best of a bad deal and winter away somewhere warm and sunny. That's if I can find somewhere that will let me in!

Comment

Cheers! I'm one of the lucky ones in that I've got bits and bobs of ad-hoc work with old clients, so my warchest burn rate isn't horrendous but getting mighty bored of seeing empty job boards and because I don't know how long it's gonna last, I feel like my life is on hold now
                So start thinking about turning this into a business rather than ad-hoc bits of work.

Ask them for a retainer that gives them x hours work in return and priority (of some type) in return for a monthly fee.

Ask them if they know of other companies with similar issues and whether they could introduce you to them...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  The CV suggestions are helpful, but I (among, I dare say, others) am more interested in hearing impressions about the current IT contract market.

I suspect Two Wolves's impressions are all too true.
                  As always, it will depend on the kinds of projects you work on. I'm currently working for a company that manages projects and brings in contractors to work on the projects (we're UK based and pay proper market rates for contractors!!). Up to month end August we've already exceeded revenue from 2019 and are having a record year.

Saying that, I spoke to a company Wednesday and they've canned all their 'general' IT projects this year and not looking to restart them until 2021.

So for us, and the kinds of projects we run, it's positive but I can imagine for non-critical projects the market is different.

Good luck though mate and hope things pick up for you soon.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    To answer Owlies question..

Due to varying issues (Covid, carer duties, time off) I have been out for contract for 12 months now.
                    I found it easy enough to get a role in March when I started looking properly, but Covid put paid to that gig.
                    It is quiet at the moment and what few roles there are in my area seem to be for permies.
                    I have just accepted a 12 month FTC which will give me lots more juicy stuff on my CV. I am looking at is as a 12 month low paid contract, but it looks like a good challenge and It is a means to an end.
                    I have every intention of returning to contracting when it is over and whilst I will still have my niche skillset, I will have added a lot more to it.

I think I've said before that I've taken FTCs too in the past if I feel they boost my CV/I like the company/good travel etc - I see it as paid training Some of my best contracts have been FTC (one enabled some work in New York, Melbourne and Sydney among other places )

Good luck mate.

Comment

That's annoying ..... although when I hear that I take it what they really mean is they found someone cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                      X