• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How are people on the bench finding the market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Always had still do keep my DOB on the CV. Why would I want to work for someone who has agist issues?
    Ageism is probably not your greatest risk, scootie. To make it through the agent's clownshoe filter, you'll need a little luck. Perhaps some chewing gum will interpose itself between your CV and a credible one and then magically disperse later on. Once you reach the unfiltered pile, you're ready for the next stage where they submit all CVs to the client's hiring manager to pass the chuckle test. That stage might be harder for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Ageism is probably not your greatest risk, scootie. To make it through the agent's clownshoe filter, you'll need a little luck. Perhaps some chewing gum will interpose itself between your CV and a credible one and then magically disperse later on. Once you reach the unfiltered pile, you're ready for the next stage where they submit all CVs to the client's hiring manager to pass the chuckle test. That stage might be harder for you.
      And that's if they read past:

Address - 6th Floor Cleaning Supplies Cupboard, Thistle Hotel, Heathrow.

Comment

I don't think it's anything you're doing.

From what I'm hearing clients are being quite nervous at the moment, doubly so with contract hires. They are approaching agencies with project headcounts because they need stuff done but the money people are getting nervous about committing. Doesn't help that the government is flying a new mad policy switch daily and the markets are volatile as hell.

Comment

The CV suggestions are helpful, but I (among, I dare say, others) am more interested in hearing impressions about the current IT contract market.

I suspect Two Wolves's impressions are all too true.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            The CV suggestions are helpful, but I (among, I dare say, others) am more interested in hearing impressions about the current IT contract market.

I suspect Two Wolves's impressions are all too true.
            I can describe the contract market in two words, It’s Dead.

Permie market isn’t caring any better.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Oddly, for such an , I was phoned by an agent & had an email from him re a contract ("outside IR35" & "remote working") in Somerset.

Maybe the snowflakes don't know about bare metal programming any more.

Then again, being an I can't be arsed anyway.

But it was inneresting to be asked.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Oddly, for such an , I was phoned by an agent & had an email from him re a contract ("outside IR35" & "remote working") in Somerset.

Maybe the snowflakes don't know about bare metal programming any more.

Then again, being an I can't be arsed anyway.

But it was inneresting to be asked.
                A witch!
                Last edited by Old Greg; 4 September 2020, 09:57.

Comment

To answer Owlies question..

Due to varying issues (Covid, carer duties, time off) I have been out for contract for 12 months now.
                  I found it easy enough to get a role in March when I started looking properly, but Covid put paid to that gig.
                  It is quiet at the moment and what few roles there are in my area seem to be for permies.
                  I have just accepted a 12 month FTC which will give me lots more juicy stuff on my CV. I am looking at is as a 12 month low paid contract, but it looks like a good challenge and It is a means to an end.
                  I have every intention of returning to contracting when it is over and whilst I will still have my niche skillset, I will have added a lot more to it.

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

There is no market

Comment

Speaking as someone who will likely be on the bench very soon, the market is just depressing.

Very few contracts, the ones that come up have low day rates and are inside ir35. Same goes for permanent jobs: senior/lead roles at junior/mid-level salary.

But, as always, things will get worse before they get better.

Comment

Working...
                      X