• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How are people on the bench finding the market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    CV shouldn't include age. The tricky bit is how to disguise your age when it might be given away by years of education (if you have any) or by the years of earlier jobs or contracts. Have a Google for ways of managing this. You can remove years from the education. You could also only include last 10 years of contracts.

I'm firmly in my 50s and they still offer me roles & interviews for permiedoom, I have had a few bites for contract as well.

If you are not getting any bites on valid roles you may need to look at your cv. Try and get someone who knows what you they are doing with English & communication to rewrite it from being a shopping list to a more STAR style. You are probably too close. Also have a CV of 4 pages or multiple versions then cut down to 2 pages for each application.

That's what the cool old farts are doing...

Using the STAR Method to Create a Superior Resume (Examples)

That seemed to work for me.

Agree if they are ageist its hardly worth working for them, I have worked for a few people I didn't like over the years mostly a new seagull manager. It never really worked out well, either they pushed off leaving me covered in Guano or I fled to something better.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Been on the bench for over a month now, for the first time in over 20 years.

I have enough to get by for now, but am applying on and off for around three or four contracts a week.

I only apply for contracts for which I know I am a good and often perfect fit, but the weird thing is I haven't had even one nibble yet, which, on past form, is pretty unusual, as is the notable near absence of phone calls from pimps.
      I never put my date of birth on my CV or educational qualifications. I let my CV speak for itself. No picture on linked in either. Much more fun when I turn up to interview and I'm not what they are expecting to see.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        The CV suggestions are helpful, but I (among, I dare say, others) am more interested in hearing impressions about the current IT contract market.

I suspect Two Wolves's impressions are all too true.
        I honestly think things were looking ropey before covid. One of my friends is a programme manager; he had been looking for a new role from January. Another is a BA, off since May. 2 in project communications, no work since before March. All extremely good people. I'm currently in a contract but taking each day as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
          I honestly think things were looking ropey before covid. One of my friends is a programme manager; he had been looking for a new role from January. Another is a BA, off since May. 2 in project communications, no work since before March. All extremely good people. I'm currently in a contract but taking each day as it comes.
          Yes, indeed. Had Covid not come along I would have extended in April and gone outside to inside IR35 with all the attendant risks that would have brought.

If I'm in a similar situation this April I will consider myself very lucky indeed.

Comment

Companies won’t be hiring old people over 40 (if a fatty or bald forget it also) - risk to them is to big if you snuff it from Covid 19

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Companies won’t be hiring old people over 40 (if a fatty or bald forget it also) - risk to them is to big if you snuff it from Covid 19

Rubbish.

A contractor is there to do a job for a period. Most clients have no care how old a contractor is so long as they have the right skills and at the right price.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                I never put my date of birth on my CV or educational qualifications. I let my CV speak for itself. No picture on linked in either. Much more fun when I turn up to interview and I'm not what they are expecting to see.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Rubbish.

A contractor is there to do a job for a period. Most clients have no care how old a contractor is so long as they have the right skills and at the right price.
                  In pre covid19 I would agree, times have changed

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    In pre covid19 I would agree, times have changed

Since most companies are working remotely older people are better hires as they are more likely to have space to work in their houses.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

But younger people are less likely to need to stay at home to shield. With the push to return to offices, that may become a factor

Comment

Working...
                      X