• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fibre Broadband renewal options

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they key thing if the ISP has direct access to the BT support team and Openreach.

Most of the issues are at the configuration, cabling / DSLAM level and that is all BT. The ISP's that win are the ones that can drive them to fix them.

Personally I have been with PlusNet for 2 decades. Mostly good. I get refer a friend.

Better for business was ZEN but they aren't cheap.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Just came off the phone with BT trying to see what they can do about my renewal price.

They are willing to keep the current price of £32.40. I said EE & Plusnet are offering the same for £27. The reply was that they have better equipments, other providers could traffic shape me or add more people to the line at the exchange.

How true is that?. I could stay considering its only a fiver more

Comment

I got nowtv for the office last week, 23 quid. I went for that as it was a 12 month contract, plusnet was 24.

I think the "better equipment" line is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
          Just came off the phone with BT trying to see what they can do about my renewal price.

They are willing to keep the current price of £32.40. I said EE & Plusnet are offering the same for £27. The reply was that they have better equipments, other providers could traffic shape me or add more people to the line at the exchange.

How true is that?. I could stay considering its only a fiver more
          could be true, could be not. But they are from the sales team so they'll convince you that even their own mother is a virgin.

go with the price reduction, if they are not up to standard cancel and go somewhere else. or return a convinced call all get the discount from them as well. they were most likely trying you out.
          The very same discomfort that the customer experiences every year and the "I won't go through the hassle of switching for £5" is the very same mechanism how they increase their prices every year. They make the process sometimes difficult just for the same reason so that need is more tangible.

Comment

My advice has, for the last couple of decades been, get your internet from Zen.

They are not the cheapest but they are the best that I have used, both for business and for home.

When FTTC became available at my home address I switched to BT as they were cheaper. I regretted it almost immediately and went back to Zen once the contract ended.

I'm now on 200 Mbps FTTP with them and have survived lockdown with 4 teenagers and two adults without it going down once.

The only tiny thing I'd say against them is that the "free" router they offer isn't as good as the Ubiquity ones I already had. But that's being really picky and the sales person I spoke to did say that I may as well put their one on ebay as mine was better.

If you need a TV package then this may not be for you, but for internet access I have not found better in the UK.
            England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Our renewal with BT for 67Mb fttc is £16 per month (landline is additional).

My wife sorts it out with their "retensions" department every year...

--Jatinder

Comment

Originally posted by jatinder View Post
                Our renewal with BT for 67Mb fttc is £16 per month (landline is additional).

My wife sorts it out with their "retensions" department every year...

--Jatinder
                Given that BT Charge £20.20 for a phone line that may not been the best approach...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  they key thing if the ISP has direct access to the BT support team and Openreach.

Most of the issues are at the configuration, cabling / DSLAM level and that is all BT. The ISP's that win are the ones that can drive them to fix them.

Personally I have been with PlusNet for 2 decades. Mostly good. I get refer a friend.

Better for business was ZEN but they aren't cheap.
                  Before plus net was force9 who my Dad has been with since the 90's. Its to expensive for them to fix a billing problem since he moved house qnd has got free phone and Internet!
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                    FYI: I had Virgin Media installed yesterday and there's a £50 off "refer a friend"* offer. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

* Yes, very droll.
                    no virgin in my area

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                      no virgin in my area
                      ah, you live in Manchester then?

Comment

Working...
                      X