• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

currently watching this, really informative.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Beta Israel, Christianity is a relative newcomer certainly to Ethiopia.

seems not

Ethiopia - Religion | Britannica

Christianity was introduced to Ethiopia in the 4th century, and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (called Tewahdo in Ethiopia) is one of the oldest organized Christian bodies in the world.
    As I said I was shocked because the story we hear (intentionally or not) is that they were recent converts thanks to Victorian missionaries.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      This is why the Band Aid "Do they know it's Christmas" song is so cringy and patronising ..... yes, they do know it's Christmas as Ethiopia was Christian way before we were. It's a fascinating country that had one year of droughts and famine, but it's all we think about when someone mentions Ethiopia.

Not sure that I get that from the lyrics? It seems to be a call to people in the richer world to realise there are people far worse off than we are and do something about it at the time we think about the idea of Jesus and his sacrifice (for believers). There doesn't seem to be any judgement of the recipients.

1: It's Christmas time
      There's no need to be afraid
      At Christmas time
      We let in light and we banish shade
      And in our world of plenty
      We can spread a smile of joy
      Throw your arms around the world
      At Christmas time

2: But say a prayer
      Pray for the other ones
      At Christmas time it's hard
      But when you're having fun
      There's a world outside your window
      And it's a world of dread and fear
      Where the only water flowing
      Is the bitter sting of tears
      And the Christmas bells that ring
      There are the clanging chimes of doom
      Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

Feed the world
      Let them know it's Christmas time
      Lyrics found <a href="https://www.elyrics.net/read/b/band-aid-lyrics/feed-the-world-lyrics.html">here</a>

The cause of the famine seems more to do with the Nutters in charge that failed to deal with historically low rainfall preferring to buy bullets not grain.

1983–1985 famine in Ethiopia - Wikipedia

Four Ethiopian provinces—Gojjam, Hararghe, Tigray and Wollo—all received record low rainfalls in the mid-1980s.[21] In the south, a separate and simultaneous cause was the government's response to Oromo Liberation Front (OLF) insurgency. In 1984, President Mengistu Haile Mariam announced that 46% of the Ethiopian Gross National Product would be allocated to military spending, creating the largest standing army in sub-Saharan Africa; the allocation for health in the government budget fell from 6% in 1973–4 to 3% by 1990

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        This is why the Band Aid "Do they know it's Christmas" song is so cringy and patronising ..... yes, they do know it's Christmas as Ethiopia was Christian way before we were. It's a fascinating country that had one year of droughts and famine, but it's all we think about when someone mentions Ethiopia.
        Imagine you're starving to death around 7th of January. You might well miss the fact that it's Christmas.

Michael Buerk is a hero in Ethiopia.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've been to Johannesburg a couple of time, but have never holidayed in Africa. The S.A. trips were great - no jet lag! The place is so huge though. We've got one of those world maps on the wall of our kitchen that preserves area.

I'm fascinated by the history of Africa, as it is so little known.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Now that puts Africa in its rightful place.

BBC Four - Africa's Great Civilisations - Episode guide
            First two episodes have been really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I've been to Johannesburg a couple of time, but have never holidayed in Africa. The S.A. trips were great - no jet lag! The place is so huge though. We've got one of those world maps on the wall of our kitchen that preserves area.

I'm fascinated by the history of Africa, as it is so little known.

Been to Jo'burg once to help with a country site setup. Beautiful country, nice people (at least the ones I met), great food. Odd to drive between gated communities though.

The apartheid museum was fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                First two episodes have been really interesting.

It s mind blowing isn't it? The normal narrative we hear suggests Africa had achieved vey little before we got there.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  It s mind blowing isn't it? The normal narrative we hear suggests Africa had achieved vey little before we got there.
                  Why do you think that is?

(I'm sounding like my history teacher. )
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Why do you think that is?

(I'm sounding like my history teacher. )
                    We are fed a particular perspective through school and the media and, whilst it doesn't take much effort to scratch beneath the surface, most people don't bother to look any deeper until someone points out there's an alternative fact / opinion / whatever. Some find that threatening and others are really pleased by it.

I can only speak for myself; I know that my ignorance is purely down to laziness. There's always something else to do, and it's usually trivial timewasting rather than anything useful or productive.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      We are fed a particular perspective through school and the media and, whilst it doesn't take much effort to scratch beneath the surface, most people don't bother to look any deeper until someone points out there's an alternative fact / opinion / whatever. Some find that threatening and others are really pleased by it.

I can only speak for myself; I know that my ignorance is purely down to laziness. There's always something else to do, and it's usually trivial timewasting rather than anything useful or productive.

what LMS!

Comment

Working...
                      X