• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

currently watching this, really informative.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    It s mind blowing isn't it? The normal narrative we hear suggests Africa had achieved vey little before we got there.
    I don't want to start an argument here as I know we all read and watch different stuff, but I've not read any narrative that suggests Africa achieved nothing until western colonial nations invaded. We certainly had a big influence in the Southern nations, and maybe this is what people sometimes consider 'Africa', without remembering that the bulk of the continent is actually up North.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Imagine you're starving to death around 7th of January. You might well miss the fact that it's Christmas.
      It may surprise you, but I'm not religious so I can't answer this myself ... but here's my question. If you're religious (let's say Christian) then at times of hardship and pain surely this is the time you're most likely to turn to your god for help? So taking your statement above, if the poor souls are starving then surely they will be remembering their religion and it's ceremonies? I'm not saying they'll be buying each other presents, but surely they will be remembering the birth of their saviour and praying for him to help? Like I say, all alien to me so maybe I'm not quite understanding when people turn to their god for help.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Michael Buerk is a hero in Ethiopia.
      I find this highly unlikely - I'd be surprised if many people there have ever heard of him. He was there in 1984, 36 years ago. 60% of their population is under 25 years old. Closer to 75% were not even born when the famine hit (and the famine did not hit the whole country). It's a western thing to think they are still thankful for our help 36 years ago.

Try watching "the misadventures of romesh ranganathan ethiopia" - he talks to the local people and they are frustrated and confused why we in the west still judge Ethiopia based on something that happened for just over a year 36 years ago. Most people in the country were not born then, and they have never faced famine, but we in the west still think of Ethiopia as a famine country.
      Last edited by Whorty; 8 September 2020, 11:55.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        I don't want to start an argument here as I know we all read and watch different stuff, but I've not read any narrative that suggests Africa achieved nothing until western colonial nations invaded. We certainly had a big influence in the Southern nations, and maybe this is what people sometimes consider 'Africa', without remembering that the bulk of the continent is actually up North.

No argument needed. The narrative I refer to is subtle and by omission. The Victorians apparently sent missionaries and soldiers to civilise the natives, there is no teaching about Africa's achievements in school or popular culture, according to this they were up there with the Greeks. I found this history an interesting and new experience. As LM said we didn't look so we didn't know.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X