• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

currently watching this, really informative.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

currently watching this, really informative.

Henry Louis Gates Jr takes a new look at the history of Africa.
    Now that puts Africa in its rightful place.

BBC Four - Africa's Great Civilisations - Episode guide
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

You might like this as well:

African Renaissance: When Art Meets Power on BBC 4
    BBC Four - African Renaissance: When Art Meets Power

I've watched the one on Somalia, which really changed my idea of what that place must be like. Senegal was last night and it was good as well.

The downside is that the whole show just focuses on the presenter, I swear the cameraman must have had a huge crush. Anywhere she visits, it's a picture of her visiting. And she wears the same red dress all the time, like it's her costume or gimmick. Also, she happily accepts any old crap that people say with no argument or challenge.

Comment

On the BBC so must be fake

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Now that puts Africa in its rightful place.

BBC Four - Africa's Great Civilisations - Episode guide
        Not seen that - I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The early chapters of Sapiens are worth a read if you want to go even further back to human origins in Africa.

Comment

Top marks in them hiding all the pianos and trumpets they invented jazz on.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Top marks in them hiding all the pianos and trumpets they invented jazz on.

hey they were much further forward than generally thought. I was surprised that Christianity was in Africa just after the reported death of Christ, it was slowly replaced by Islam by conquest. I assumed Victorian Christian missionaries had spread the word.

They were creating Cathedrals to rival European ones millennia ago.

You know our number system is based on the Arabic one? Our Maths on Greek & Roman etc.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thanks will have a look

Comment

hey they were much further forward than generally thought. I was surprised that Christianity was in Africa just after the reported death of Christ, it was slowly replaced by Islam by conquest. I assumed Victorian Christian missionaries had spread the word.

You know our number system is based on the Arabic one? Our Maths on Greek & Roman etc.
                  This is why the Band Aid "Do they know it's Christmas" song is so cringy and patronising ..... yes, they do know it's Christmas as Ethiopia was Christian way before we were. It's a fascinating country that had one year of droughts and famine, but it's all we think about when someone mentions Ethiopia.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Beta Israel, Christianity is a relative newcomer certainly to Ethiopia.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X