• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not worthy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not worthy

Digital pregnancy testing sticks turn out to have very analogue internals when it comes to getting results • The Register

Updated A hacker has peered into a fancy digital pregnancy stick and found it is just a glorified analogue paper test strip with a screen added, a novel form of activation, and a larger price tag.Inspired by an earlier Twitter thread, hardware hacker (and floppy disc enthusiast) foone bought a pack of two digital pregnancy sticks for $7, whereas a pack of 25 paper-based ones costs about $9. Foone decided to pry into one of the sticks, and discovered it contained an 8-bit Holtek HT48C06 microcontroller with 64 bytes of RAM and 1024 words of ROM, a series of LED lights, photosensors, a cell battery, and a small rectangular screen.
    The microcontroller onboard makes it seem fairly advanced, but at the core of is, well, one of those cheap paper tests.

The next stage of the project was to see if this could be beefed up a little. After adding a new processor and screen, foone turned the device into a gizmo that could display messages no one wants to see... ®
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

You can play doom on it Guy runs 'Doom' on a pregnancy test and wait, what?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

yep. cool

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        “To clarify what I’m doing here: this is a replacement display AND a replacement micro-controller. I’m not using any of the original tester other than the shell,” - said its creator.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          “To clarify what I’m doing here: this is a replacement display AND a replacement micro-controller. I’m not using any of the original tester other than the shell,” - said its creator.

yep still pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
          X