• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which of you felt the Earth move?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which of you felt the Earth move?

Earthquake hits towns in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire - BBC News

An earthquake with a magnitude 3.3 has been felt across several towns in England.
    People living in Leighton Buzzard and Dunstable, Bedfordshire, and Milton Keynes and Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire said they felt it at about 09:45 BST.
    Carly Jan Smith, 31, in Dunstable, said it was "really strong" and lasted for about two seconds. Her whole room went from "side to side", she said.
    The British Geological Survey said it struck just north of Leighton Buzzard.
    Bedfordshire Police said there were no reports of injuries, although it had received a large number of calls.
    Dr Richard Luckett, of the British Geological Survey, confirmed the quake, saying: "It was very minor on a global scale, but still quite large for the UK.
    "We get about two of these a year which is rare for the UK."
    He said there was a slight chance of aftershocks, "but they are very likely not to be felt".
    John Yorke, a computer programmer in Woburn Sands, Bedfordshire, said: "It felt like one subtle jolt to the house which made the windows vibrate.
    "My initial thought was to look out of the window expecting to see a car had crashed into our property. I haven't felt anything like it before."
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Can be blame it on fracking?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Rhodri Marsden did a talk at the Boring Conference the other year on the utterly underwhelming descriptions people come up with for equally underwhelming British earthquakes. I think he'll be delighted with "I thought my stepdad was doing something in the garage" and "My dog shot out of her chair!"

A version of his talk is available in the spinoff Boring Talks podcast at the BBC: BBC Sounds - The Boring Talks, #12 - British Earthquakes

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Earthquake hits towns in Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire - BBC News

An earthquake with a magnitude 3.3 has been felt across several towns in England.
        People living in Leighton Buzzard and Dunstable, Bedfordshire, and Milton Keynes and Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire said they felt it at about 09:45 BST.
        Carly Jan Smith, 31, in Dunstable, said it was "really strong" and lasted for about two seconds. Her whole room went from "side to side", she said.
        The British Geological Survey said it struck just north of Leighton Buzzard.
        Bedfordshire Police said there were no reports of injuries, although it had received a large number of calls.
        Dr Richard Luckett, of the British Geological Survey, confirmed the quake, saying: "It was very minor on a global scale, but still quite large for the UK.
        "We get about two of these a year which is rare for the UK."
        He said there was a slight chance of aftershocks, "but they are very likely not to be felt".
        John Yorke, a computer programmer in Woburn Sands, Bedfordshire, said: "It felt like one subtle jolt to the house which made the windows vibrate.
        "My initial thought was to look out of the window expecting to see a car had crashed into our property. I haven't felt anything like it before."
        Suity let one off in Luton.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Carly Jan Smith, 31, in Dunstable, said it was "really strong" and lasted for about two seconds.
          She must have mistaken it for something else

Comment

Not me, because ladymuck was right.

Nothing ******* happens near Canterbury.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              Not me, because ladymuck was right.

Nothing ******* happens near Canterbury.
              What? Crikey that's two things I got right today.

This broken clock is on a roll!

Comment

Working...
              X