• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance with points on license / criminal record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

It's not a victimless crime. Apart form anything else, my insurance is hiked up to cover the costs of the uninsured idiots.
    It's also a crazy crime if you have any assets you care about, such as a house, because if you hit someone while driving and put them in a wheel chair for life for example, they could sue the pants off you and claim every asset you have to pay for their care!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Had I caught the guy who hit the wife's car and caused an uninsured £2k's worth of damage I'd have shot him myself...

It's not a victimless crime. Apart form anything else, my insurance is hiked up to cover the costs of the uninsured idiots.
      It's an unusual crime as well as mens rea doesn't apply. If you drive believing you're insured but you're not, you've still committed the offence. The only points I've had on my licence were in these circumstances - but fair enough and points on my licence was getting away lightly compared to the consequences all round of a serious accident.

Comment

You are trying to land a PM role, not a job flipping burgers at Mcdonalds, and you actually drove a car without license and crashed it ??

I think you are kiss this job goodbye and quite frankly it's a good thing as well, who is to say you wont drink and turn up at work and crash the project as well.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          You are trying to land a PM role, not a job flipping burgers at Mcdonalds, and you actually drove a car without license and crashed it ??

I think you are kiss this job goodbye and quite frankly it's a good thing as well, who is to say you wont drink and turn up at work and crash the project as well.
          As long as he had it on the risk register, job's a good 'un.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            It's an unusual crime as well as mens rea doesn't apply. If you drive believing you're insured but you're not, you've still committed the offence. The only points I've had on my licence were in these circumstances - but fair enough and points on my licence was getting away lightly compared to the consequences all round of a serious accident.

not that unusual as it seems two of our posters seem to have managed it.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              not that unusual as it seems two of our posters seem to have managed it.
              I was driving Mrs OG's car, for which I'm a named drive (or not as it happens). She thought the renewal was automatic, and YG2 was a few months' old so it had slipped her mind to check. But I was driving when we were pulled over...

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                The police should have shot you for driving without insurance.

Thanks for your advice. I do have a full driving license. And I did not crash the car. I was under the impression i could drive the other car as per the guidance on my insurance document (which is not the same as my insurance certificate). I was not stopped by the police or anything. A cyclist reported me as i stopped my car while turning left to let another cyclist proceed straight (apparently that was undue care and attention). I accept the no insurance but i do not accept the undue care and attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  The police should have shot you for driving without insurance.
                  Thanks Paddy. I admit that i drove without insurance but it was unknowingly as i thought i was covered to drive the car. I was not stopped by the police either. I was reported by a cyclist for stopping to let another cyclist pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    I was driving Mrs OG's car, for which I'm a named drive (or not as it happens). She thought the renewal was automatic, and YG2 was a few months' old so it had slipped her mind to check. But I was driving when we were pulled over...

Didi this effect any type of clearance for you in the future? My situation was similar. I was under the impression i was insured to drive the car at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by LeadingFrank View Post
                      Didi this effect any type of clearance for you in the future? My situation was similar. I was under the impression i was insured to drive the car at the time.
                      Never needed SC. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X