• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance with points on license / criminal record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeadingFrank View Post
    Thanks for your advice. I do have a full driving license. And I did not crash the car. I was under the impression i could drive the other car as per the guidance on my insurance document (which is not the same as my insurance certificate). I was not stopped by the police or anything. A cyclist reported me as i stopped my car while turning left to let another cyclist proceed straight (apparently that was undue care and attention). I accept the no insurance but i do not accept the undue care and attention.
    I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes along that gives a stuff...

But maybe not.

HTH BIDI
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LeadingFrank View Post
      Hello, I am new to this forum so forgive me in advance if this particular issue has been raised before. I was advised that this forum is useful to gain information on such issues.

I have a provisional offer for PM role with a Government department and I am about to go through SC security clearance. What does SC clearance entail?

I have recently been charged with driving without third party insurance and driving without due care and attention. I plan to plead guilty to the former - so as a minimum I will have 6 points on my drivers license.

Not sure if this would be seen as spent or unspent criminal conviction but is this something that I should be worried about? Can i fail SC clearance for having a driving offence of this nature?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

did you get SC?

Comment

Originally posted by anything123 View Post

did you get SC?
        LeadingFrank
        Nervous Newbie
        Last Activity: 27 November 2020, 21:26
        very much doubt you are going to get an answer. He's not allowed to tell you even if he did anyway

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

very much doubt you are going to get an answer. He's not allowed to tell you even if he did anyway
          I do love the people who think SC cleared is a sensible thing to put on their linkedIn profiles.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I do love the people who think SC cleared is a sensible thing to put on their LinkedIn profiles.
            I continue to be annoyed by the "DV and SC Cleared Only" adverts you see on LinkedIn and other places, like they are some kind of badge holders. Obviously there are exceptions but 95% or more of such roles don't need clearance to apply for them, much less actually start work. It's just agencies being lazy (gosh...) or selling something they aren't actually allowed to sell.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I continue to be annoyed by the "DV and SC Cleared Only" adverts you see on LinkedIn and other places, like they are some kind of badge holders. Obviously there are exceptions but 95% or more of such roles don't need clearance to apply for them, much less actually start work. It's just agencies being lazy (gosh...) or selling something they aren't actually allowed to sell.
              Yep, but until HMG start taking action to clamp down on it, it will continue. There are no consequences for the agents, so no incentive not to do it.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Yep, but until HMG start taking action to clamp down on it, it will continue. There are no consequences for the agents, so no incentive not to do it.
                We tried to come up with something that would work, but since clearance is not covered by law it is almost impossible to do. Best offer was to remove offending agencies from the HMG supply chain but that proved to be impractical.

Departments follow the rules, but no-one else does, and many don't even understand them.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Ignore it. Be honest if asked.

SC / DV is the authority's way of measuring your honestly, your risk of being coerced. Massive debts are more likely to raise an eyebrow than points on a license.
                  I thought it was more to do with you being a convicted kiddy fiddler or fraudster than having massive debt? I mean who won't have massive debt after the Rona is caged? Of good character kind of thing. But if your dad was in the IRA you might have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post

I thought it was more to do with you being a convicted kiddy fiddler or fraudster than having massive debt? I mean who won't have massive debt after the Rona is caged? Of good character kind of thing. But if your dad was in the IRA you might have a problem.
                    Many years ago I contracted at an investment bank that required SC. I was surprised to find a fellow contractor who was Lebanese, never previously worked in the UK and merely had a Lebanese police record check certificate. He was also as thick as s**t but he had loads of qualification certificates.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post

You'd kind of be wrong then. Obviously both of those won't work in your favour either but it's about being coerced and trustworthiness. Having debt means you may be tempted to sell the data or be bullied in to stealing it so although it might appear frivolous its been proven time and time again as a reason for people doing stupid stuff. Obviously there are different types of debt, some normal, some that are a problem but owing money you can't pay back is a problem.

Speeding points, drunk and disorderly and maybe even a bit of personal drug use doesn't generally mean you are a risk to national security.. but then no one knows the criteria.

Comment

Working...
                      X