• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We have an app...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure this will open up Bluetooth security issues. I won't say how on a public forum but I will wait and see.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Australia had this from 14 May.

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/.../covidsafe-app
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        The Irish app was launched 7 July. The health service here gave it to the open source community:

COVID Tracker Ireland app one of Linux Foundation Public Health's first open source projects - HSE.ie

I believe so far it's been adopted by Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Pennsylavania.
        All delivered by a little company Nearform from Waterford.

Comment

Does it come with its own "mutant algorithm" that can be blamed for when it all goes t*ts up?
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
            Does it come with its own "mutant algorithm" that can be blamed for when it all goes t*ts up?
            The developers will be blamed when it fecks up regardless.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
              It's built into the Barnard Castle eye test algorithm.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The developers will be blamed when the infection rates go up.
                FTFY
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

It's "world beating" so everyone else can go and feck themselves.

Btw it's like with everything they rolled out, so it shouldn't be a surprise. Every single thing was late in the UK, from plastic screens at supermarkets (in some places installed maybe a month ago when half of Europe had this in May), through distancing in queues, lockdown, screening at airports, masks etc. They couldn't be more tulip if they tried.

Comment

The Scottish app is based on the German influenced Irish & co app. The IDs of other Scottish Covid App Identifiders (not Bluetooth MAc addresses, but randomised IDs that change every 15 minutes) are stored for 14 days from the last points in which the contact was within 2metres for 15 minutes or more.

The code appears to be excellent and extremely simple. It's been fixed by the open source community. You're welcome to go and view the code for yourself. If you plan on being in crowded areas then it's worth installing.

On a modern android or iPhone device it uses bluetooth low energy and doesn't actually connect to the device, instead just logging the proximity and duration of this proximity if it's deemed as close. Overall it's a good idea and should be a must for those going into offices, restaurants or bars.

If you're concerned about big government then consider that all your network connection and internet use use is logged at the packet level by GCHQ for an unknown duration, in an incredibly opaque matter for a so called democracy. Using bluetooth in the manner implemented in this app does not constitute a major invasion of privacy. You also won't be hacked via bluetooth in this implementation on an iPhone, although I can't speak for android.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                      Do we know who has built this?

Does the Scottish one talk to the English one?

Wouldn’t it have been more sensible to have one developed by the EU for the whole of Europe?

Will the English one be available in Welsh and Cornish?
                      Which one of the 27 languages would you have chosen? Or, to put it another way, how many hundreds of millions of people would you like to piss off?
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X