• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best contract: Direct to end client or through a consultancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best contract: Direct to end client or through a consultancy

In your experience what's the best way to contract?

1. Direct to the end client for example a Gov department.

Or

2. Through an organisation that supplies service's and staff to the end client. (I don't mean recruiters here, I mean a Cap, PwC or similar)

Through no choice of my own I've usually been through the organisation as they were supplying staff, however the end client also had its own contractors.

What do my fellow contractors think?

Do you have a preferred option yourselves?

Does it make no difference?
    Direct to client
    80.00%
    Through consultancy
    20.00%
    Last edited by AlonsoHarris; 14 September 2020, 14:56.

Comment

Direct. Too many inexpert bs merchants in the consultancies, desperate not to have their reliance on generic management consultancy frameworks shown up by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Comment

That depends on the client.

Comment

Makes no difference to me. The best contract is the one where the role is suitable to me, the team I'm working with are not total twunts, and the rate is acceptable. The route to getting the role is irrelevant.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

It's fine to have a preference but you often don't get the chance to exercise it. Some clients will contract directly, others won't.

Comment

whichever pays the most

Comment

Is this hypothetical, or is this a situation you're currently faced with?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  It's fine to have a preference but you often don't get the chance to exercise it. Some clients will contract directly, others won't.
                  But if I have a choice between contracting with Client A via a consultancy and Client B via a pimp, all other things being equal, I would choose Client B.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Direct. Too many inexpert bs merchants in the consultancies, desperate not to have their reliance on generic management consultancy frameworks shown up by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Is that the bloke who takes over from you?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X