• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keep calm and keep billing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Compared with lawyers invoices, that is pathetic.
    I once worked with a firm which used super expensive Magic Circle type law firms. Some of the US based lawyers used to fly first class from New York to London and as well as expensing that, half the journey time counted as billable at a rate of £500-1000/hour.

Lawyers often bill in six minute segments. I once had a personal meeting with a junior-ish employment lawyer at a city law firm. After she offered to make me a tea, we had a very brief chit chat before the business discussion and I realised that had already cost me £100.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      I once worked with a firm which used super expensive Magic Circle type law firms. Some of the US based lawyers used to fly first class from New York to London and as well as expensing that, half the journey time counted as billable at a rate of £500-1000/hour.

Lawyers often bill in six minute segments. I once had a personal meeting with a junior-ish employment lawyer at a city law firm. After she offered to make me a tea, we had a very brief chit chat before the business discussion and I realised that had already cost me £100.
      The downside of this is you have to study law first.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I once billed 8 hours for doing next to nothing.. I say once.. I mean once a day for the last 12 years
        No

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I've seen lawyers bill in 2.5 minute segments.

Comment

I've known lawyers take their clients out for dinner. And then charge them for the meal and the time. My doctor charges on 5 minute intervals - but fortunately, it's only about £15 per 5 minutes. And the insurance pays most of it.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              No
              You got your wage this month?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I've known lawyers take their clients out for dinner. And then charge them for the meal and the time. My doctor charges on 5 minute intervals - but fortunately, it's only about £15 per 5 minutes. And the insurance pays most of it.
                Yup. Found this out the hard way when filing my first patent in Munich.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You got your wage this month?
                  Tbh I haven't needed to check

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                    Tbh I haven't needed to check
                    I didn't get my wages for 3 months and didn't notice. I pay someone to do that. Fortunately, they noticed before it dropped below the 75K passive income LondonPM1 has.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      I didn't get my wages for 3 months and didn't notice.
                      Happened to me once as well. The bloke that runs my payroll is a right useless tw@t. Saying that so is the HR Manager and Sales Manager etc etc
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X